Fining before dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
I made a kit wine last month. The kit called for bentonite to be added at two weeks, before the wine was dry. It cleared really well and was pretty good at 6 weeks. I'd like to get a batch started that I can drink early. Can I add bentonite, or another fining agent to a batch before it is dry, if it's made from regular frozen concentrated fruit juice?

Using the Bentonite in primary helps to drop out the heavy solids in the bucket so that you dont carry them over to carboy. Bentonite also prevents protein hazes. Nothing will clear a wine while its fermenting as fermentation will not let that happen.

maddog...which brand of kit was that? I don't recall any that call for bentonite at 2 weeks (obviously I don't know them all). Most kits (Winexpert, Vineco, Spagnols, ....) call for the bentonite on day 1.

Steve

I agree with above post as all the kits I know of call for the Bentonite to go in before anything else in primary.

maddog...which brand of kit was that? I don't recall any that call for bentonite at 2 weeks (obviously I don't know them all). Most kits (Winexpert, Vineco, Spagnols, ....) call for the bentonite on day 1.

Steve

Wade, so the bentonite is added day one, but then it doesn't work while fermenting? Why not add it to the secondary?

During fermentation, bentonite also functions sort of as a vehicle for helping to transport the yeast throughout the must to keep them circulating. As CO2 rises, it stirs up the bentonite, which helps carry the yeast cells.

It's one reason why kit wine makers can get by without stirring during primary. Otherwise, the yeast would all be trying to work from the bottom of the fermentor, in the midst of all the lees.

It was an Orhcard Breezin' kit. I threw out the instructions after the kit was finished. It was probably day 1.

I just always add it in the secondary and stir it up for a week and then let sit for a week or two. Works well on most batches, but not all. Most clearing agents work this way. Only problem we have now, is we can't use fish product in the wines without add it to every label, etc.

Back