Other Finer Wine Kits & LabelPeelers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep me posted because I want to give a triple kit batch another go. Grapes did fine in the Brute but of course they had natural yeast as a booster.
I'm writing a detailed blog on this wine, similar to what I did for the Barbera and started for the Chardonnay. Each post is very similar, but I'm focusing on different aspects in my commentary. So far this post is just a placeholder, as the kits haven't arrived. FedEx says they are out for delivery, so things are about to get exciting!

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2021-finer-wine-kits-rhone-blend-in-detail/

I have done the FWKs as double kits twice now. My fermentation room is a 4’x5’ closet and both times I had to take the Brute (20gal) out of the room to let it cool. That was during the summer so ambient temps will be cooler now and I may try doing the ferment in the garage this time. I’m about to pitch the two whites I started last night but those are just in buckets so easier to control the temp. I have two Boudreaux kits ordered that will do as a double.

Was surprised to read that Sangiovese was not available this year to FWK, and that for their Super Tuscan they are substituting Syrah and Grenache to approximate what Sangiovese brought (along with the regular Cabernet S. and Merlot). Really wish that they would sell a Grenache standalone, or even add a third blend to their lineup, a Rhone blend with Syrah and Grenache and, ideally some Mourvedre as well.

Was surprised to read that Sangiovese was not available this year to FWK
Several people have said they could not get Sangiovese this year. I have no idea why.

Let FWK know that you're interested -- they have to make what sells, so if there is interest in a given blend, it may push them in that direction.

I haven't made a FWK yet, but based on the buzz, I did watch the videos. I noticed they didn't start with Bentonite. I've made quite a few WE kits and all used Bentonite. What criteria should I use to decide if Bentonite is needed? What could go wrong if I skip it? Sorry, if this is a little off topic...

I've made quite a few WE kits and all used Bentonite. What criteria should I use to decide if Bentonite is needed? What could go wrong if I skip it?
This is an excellent question. In addition to other effects, adding bentonite before inoculation starts the clarification process sooner.

From a kit vendor's POV, this is very important, both in meeting customer expectations and in increasing sales.

Customer expectations? Sure! A lot of folks get a wine kit and visualize drinking Chateau Petrus 2 weeks later! Ok, kit vendors can't quite make that happen, but they can guarantee that a wine can be bottled in 4 weeks. Starting clarification on Day 1 helps ensure that.

Sales? Sure! A beginner bottles in 4 weeks, and immediately opens a bottle. The faster we drink it, the sooner we'll buy another kit.

Bentonite and other fining agents are not necessary. Most wines clear on their own, given sufficient time. If you plan to bottle after 9 to 12 months, you can skip it. If bottling on kit schedule you want to clarify. In between? It's up to you.

When making kits, I use the fining agents. For red grape wines, probably not. White and fruit wines? I find they benefit from a fining agent.

Tremendous answer! Thank you Bryan. I'll put this info in my notes and try not to ask again. As a newer winemaker, I've largely been following the kit directions. In the coming year, I want to add bulk aging and try out some different techniques to improve the quality of my wines. This type of knowledge will help me make good rule-of-thumb decisions, even though I lack the experience.

@Dan M, keep asking questions!

Kit instructions are geared towards beginners who have no help. In that respect, the ones I've seen are very good. I like the FWK instructions best as it covers preparation and each step in detail, although some have noted they find the amount of detail to be overwhelming.

Start bulk aging now. In layman's term, this is referred to as "ignoring the wine". It's actually quite easy to do, even for beginners! 😜

There is also another reason most of the major kit manufacturers have you add bentonite at the start of the fermentation process. At one point, they had a bit of a protein haze problem. Bentonite at the beginning of fermentation helps to clear that up.

This was reported by Tim Vandergrift after he was no longer employed by WinExpert.

@winemaker81, it is going to be very interesting to see how long it takes for your inoculations of Avante yeast to ferment out on your Forte Reds.
Since the RC212 yeast ferment in 3 to 4 days.

This will be a good experiment in not only how your fermentation blend turns out but also is there a difference in fermentation time using different yeast strains with the FWK.
Or is the fermentation time do to an ingredient that is included in one of the FWK packets? 🤔

it is going to be very interesting to see how long it takes for your inoculations of Avante yeast to ferment out on your Forte Reds.
Since the RC212 yeast ferment in 3 to 4 days.
We used RC212, as my son forgot to bring his scale and we had no way to measure the Avante. The Super Tuscan kits ship Monday, so we'll use Avante for those.

I suspect it's the nutrient.

I have not received my Forte Pinot Noir kit yet. But your right, it is suppose to come with a seed pack as well as skins.
You do make a excellent point about using the seed pack for the tannins. Thanks for the reply!
You're welcome - worst case you can add them later but likely won't need them.

I haven't made a FWK yet, but based on the buzz, I did watch the videos. I noticed they didn't start with Bentonite. I've made quite a few WE kits and all used Bentonite. What criteria should I use to decide if Bentonite is needed? What could go wrong if I skip it? Sorry, if this is a little off topic...

IMHO Bentonite is useless. I haven't used it in over 2 years and have noticed no differences, except less lees. I used to only make Mosti kits and they stopped using Bentonite 2 or 3 years ago, so there was my justification to stop. George, at Fine Vine Wines, agreed. Bentonite comes in a kit? I throw it away. YMMV

Back