Other Finer Wine Kits end of the year tasting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listened to most of the video last night and really enjoyed it and had a few questions and observations. I was really curious about how old the Forte Wines you tasted were? I realize you were making trial batches of them before they were released for sale to the public, so they are likely older than what any of us have. And it was great to hear you talk about which ones you might age the longest (Sangiovese benefiting perhaps the most from extra age was a surprise to me which I will keep in mind if you are able to stock it again after next year's harvest). Related question, I assume all the Forte wines you tasted followed the protocol in your instructions, namely 14 days total with the skins and seed packs?

It was super interesting to hear you talk about how certain grapes were not available in this most recent year (Cabernet Franc and Sangiovese), and how you had to work around that in your Bordeaux and Super Tuscan blends. From your website it was already clear that in lieu of Sangiovese you subbed in Syrah and Grenache (with the standard Cab. S. and Merlot) in the Super Tuscan. On your video I learned that in lieu of Cab. Franc you subbed Syrah and Petite Sirah (with the standard Cab. S. and Merlot) in the Bordeaux. Really great to know that, I would add it to the website as now it just says it is a 'blend of 4 varietals including Cab. S. and Merlot,' and I think the added transparency is a bonus and something which already sets FWK apart from other kits and you should lean into that extra transparency as much as possible.

I am pretty certain when you tasted the Syrah you talked about a Rhone blend being in the works. That is great news! Great to hear that you are working on an Amarone style kit too, although I don't think that enough Corvina is grown in California. Still excited to try an Amarone blend even if it has no Corvina (and no raisined grapes) but again I'd love to know the components used to approximate the taste of Amarone.

Finally, I liked that you mentioned some future kit releases being available in limited quantities and times of the year. I think I speak for many of us, that we would love to have a greater variety of kits (both single varietals and blends) even if some are only available for a limited time.

Thanks again for all the extra info you are supplying in your videos, on your website, and by interacting with us here!

Very interesting and informative. I have to agree with the review for Super Tuscan. I just tasted mine which I bottled in July--stupendous! So now I have to try the Bordeaux and Sangiovese. They mentioned a Rhône blend and I hope they release that soon, I love Rhônes. Also, I hope they develop a rosé.

Very interesting and informative. I have to agree with the review for Super Tuscan. I just tasted mine which I bottled in July--stupendous! So now I have to try the Bordeaux and Sangiovese. They mentioned a Rhône blend and I hope they release that soon, I love Rhônes. Also, I hope they develop a rosé.
Curious, Did you deviate at all from the kit directions on yours?

Curious, Did you deviate at all from the kit directions on yours?
I did not use the finishing pack, just 1/4t meta prior to bottling. Also, when I added the second nutrient pack I discovered that I had neglected to add the first nutrient pack when I started the kit.

Merry Christmas to you as well. Between six and fifteen months. Forte’s are a bit younger so we are getting them on the front end. One of the reasons why I was surprised they were as good as they were already. 😂

Curious how much bulk & bottle aging the reds experienced b4 this tasting?

Merry Christmas & Cheers!

Good morning. When we make test batches, we follow the instructions exactly to the letter. Whatever it says in the book is what we do. That’s actually one of the most important testing protocols we have. As for aging Sangiovese, you totally could. Just make sure you keep your SO2 levels adequate.

There are always solutions two problems and that’s how we came up with substitutions for various blends. From a certain perspective, that’s how all blends came into existence. Farmers had one varietal or another and decided to blend them together and that’s how all of the classic recipes that we enjoy today came to be. As a kit company, we can do that too. I’ll leave that as a hint with some of the new things that are in the works. 🥳

I listened to most of the video last night and really enjoyed it and had a few questions and observations. I was really curious about how old the Forte Wines you tasted were? I realize you were making trial batches of them before they were released for sale to the public, so they are likely older than what any of us have. And it was great to hear you talk about which ones you might age the longest (Sangiovese benefiting perhaps the most from extra age was a surprise to me which I will keep in mind if you are able to stock it again after next year's harvest). Related question, I assume all the Forte wines you tasted followed the protocol in your instructions, namely 14 days total with the skins and seed packs?

It was super interesting to hear you talk about how certain grapes were not available in this most recent year (Cabernet Franc and Sangiovese), and how you had to work around that in your Bordeaux and Super Tuscan blends. From your website it was already clear that in lieu of Sangiovese you subbed in Syrah and Grenache (with the standard Cab. S. and Merlot) in the Super Tuscan. On your video I learned that in lieu of Cab. Franc you subbed Syrah and Petite Sirah (with the standard Cab. S. and Merlot) in the Bordeaux. Really great to know that, I would add it to the website as now it just says it is a 'blend of 4 varietals including Cab. S. and Merlot,' and I think the added transparency is a bonus and something which already sets FWK apart from other kits and you should lean into that extra transparency as much as possible.

I am pretty certain when you tasted the Syrah you talked about a Rhone blend being in the works. That is great news! Great to hear that you are working on an Amarone style kit too, although I don't think that enough Corvina is grown in California. Still excited to try an Amarone blend even if it has no Corvina (and no raisined grapes) but again I'd love to know the components used to approximate the taste of Amarone.

Finally, I liked that you mentioned some future kit releases being available in limited quantities and times of the year. I think I speak for many of us, that we would love to have a greater variety of kits (both single varietals and blends) even if some are only available for a limited time.

Thanks again for all the extra info you are supplying in your videos, on your website, and by interacting with us here!

Latest posts

Back