Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you filter your wines?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Sometimes

• Depends

• Total voters
Since I found straining bags I don't need cheesecloth anymore!
smiley20.gif

berry

Like Berry,Bert & Idon't filter but use bags for our pulps and let the process handle the rest. One of our early fruit wines, rhubarb, we ended up with a lot of sediment in the bottles. But, that was our own, inexperienced, impatientfault. We didn't use time and process to allow the wine to clear enough before bottling.
smiley9.gif
But experience has brought clarity to our minds and wines.

Hello there, princess!

My family-in-law comes from Silesia and they're some wicked wine makers. I was very "indisposed" at the end of one of their family parties, because the wine was so good. It was a cherry wine. There was also an apricot wine floating around, but somehow, I don't remember tasting it.
smiley36.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Howdy there Princess,

patience is trulythe hardest thing to learn about this hobby.

i bulk age all my wines now for at least 6 months, racking every month or so... they clear on their quite well on their own... except for that darn pear
smiley19.gif

berry

I would think it depends on what you're making. Many fruit (country) wines have an almost unavoidable haze that will require either a light filter or gentle fining if you wish them to look "brilliant" in the glass.

Kit wines, on the other hand, seldom if ever require any fining or filtration...they are balanced to enable most nasty stuff to fall out over time.

I never filter my wines from grapes, but I make only "big" reds and they stay in bulk aging for up to two years before going into a bottle, and then usually a year in the bottle after that.

I have used coffee filters, but they are very slow to drain through most of the time, which leads to more exposure to air and ultimately oxidation.

I agree with CW as well. I tried them once and it really takes too much time. They would probably work if they were concealed within some airtight gizzmo but I feel that you would be constantly changing the filters if they should hold up under pressure at all.

Back