Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you filter your wines?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Sometimes

• Depends

• Total voters
I used a gravity type filter on a few batches when I first started and found it was more trouble that it was worth....now I let settle time do the work!

Really? You thought it was more trouble than it was worth? I've got a gravity filter, and yes, although it takes longer than a mini-jet, but if it's clear enough, it goes thru pretty quickly.

To put it is better words...I have seen no need to filter any of the wines I have made over the past 3 years when using a fining agent and a long enough settle time.Edited by: masta

Remember,Scott has only made kit wines, right?

Scott, with any filter, no need to even try until the wine finishes settling after at least one more racking after the stabilizing rack. Those babies clog real quick.

How right you are, Glenvall. I did one, just as a test, 1-gallon of a very murky apple wine. It turned out crystal clear afterwards. I was impressed, but it took forever.

I can get 5-6 gallons through the gravity filter (if it's clear to say it's ready for bottling) within a half an hour. I can just let it run when I'm doing other wine stuff.

Thats not bad timing. It takes 5 gallons of clear wine 15 minutes to go through #2 minijet pads.

I'm pretty pleased with it. Unfortunately, though, there are not that many different types (grades?) of filter pads for the Harris filters. At least I haven't really found them.

Only 3 for the minijet, but hardly anyone uses the #1's or #3's. I always use the #1's first, then the #2, if at all.

With the minijet, #2. They have the filters numbered according to the order they should be used. I don't know about other filters.

I see. Wait I think we're on to something here. Let me post in the appropriate header.

Never have and don't care to. I like to let time and gravity do it's thing.

Chris

Never filter my wine , unless ya'll consider straining thru cheesecloth filtering.
smiley2.gif
berry

smiley14.gif
Well, you're right CW, according to "Webster's, "strain" meansto filter, or remove by filtering. "Filtering" means, a device used to separate matter from a fluid by means of a "filter."
smiley23.gif

I guessBerry and Ishould change our vote.
smiley6.gif

Latest posts

Back