Filtering - Push or .....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I've got a canister filter here and I'm wondering what I should push the wine through with...

I guess I could use gravity, but I have a feeling that might take hours and hours.. I've also got a bottle of nitrogen and a bottle of CO2. I'm guessing CO2 is out since it would probably carbonate the wine.. Probably would be fine for a sparkling wine ... so I was thinking Nitrogen.

Google got me... Yes, I started googling wine filtering and it seems, unless someone is using vacuum, they're pushing with a pump... Since vacuum being out.. Maybe not since I do have a vacuum for HVAC work, would it be better for me to push with Nitrogen or a pump?

Thanks!

You didn't say what type of container that your wine is in. If it's in a glass carboy, the best way to filter it would be using a vacuum pump as it will help to draw out any remaining CO2. If your wine is in a plastic carboy, then, based on what you have on hand, your best option is to push it through the filter with your pressurized Nitrogen tank.

would it be better for me to push with Nitrogen or a pump?

You're going to want a pump. It can easily and controllably push the wine through your filter. The filtering process usually degasses the wine at the same time.

Years ago I bought this pump. I still use it when I bottle. It has quite literally pumped 10000+ gallons with only minor repairs.

You're going to want a pump. It can easily and controllably push the wine through your filter. The filtering process usually degasses the wine at the same time.

Years ago I bought this pump. I still use it when I bottle. It has quite literally pumped 10000+ gallons with only minor repairs.

Thanks for the tip.. but when I was thinking pump, I was thinking about a little $25 pump people use to recycle their hot water and it seems, many use to circulate wort.

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A015-Heater-Circulation-Adapter/dp/B01G305PK0

Thanks for the tip.. but when I was thinking pump, I was thinking about a little $25 pump people use to recycle their hot water and it seems, many use to circulate wort.

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A015-Heater-Circulation-Adapter/dp/B01G305PK0

The concern I see with this pump is with the brass hardware. Wine pH can run under 3.5, while beer is only like 5.5. The much higher acidity in wine will dissolve copper which is toxic and can make you sick. Will it dissolve enough copper while you are pumping wine through it to make you ill? Don't know. But this is why there are pumps made specifically for wine.

At that price, if your using glass carboys I would recommend all in one pump

The other problem with that pump is it doesn't develop enough pressure, you need more than 4 psi.
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything in the description that spoke to how many PSI it could generate.

Latest posts

Back