fighting WINE SNOB haters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jamesngalveston said:
I agree with dave, I made some last year from concords and its not bad at all...I have had much much worst store bought 20 dollar wines, that were name brand and from a notable grape...
But....i did not like calf fries but love steak...

What are "calf fries"? I know what a steak is and I know what french fries are, is this some sort of fried veal?

and how did it go from John actually using welches and wine in the same sentence to that!? I must have missed something, lol

Reactions: pjd
cmason1957 said:
Rocky mountain oysters are another name. Never got hungry enough to try that.

Thanks!!
I've salted a set and mailed them to my unckle. He loved them! ( we have a very weird family when it comes to guift giving...) I have not tried any however... I'll just stick with my salted fish.

We use the examples:

Helping your Uncle Jack, off his horse.

v.s.

Helping your uncle jack off his horse.

Rae, I am a bit confused. I believe your second example may be ambiguous, but I claim it is correctly punctuated, regardless of which of the senses implied here is meant (the bawdy one or the pedestrian one).

On the other hand, your first example one is not punctuated correctly, at least by any rules with which I am familiar. To wit, no one would ever say "Helping Raelene, out of the car."

Possibly, you meant "Helping your uncle, Jack, off his horse." ? (In this case, "Jack" is used in apposition to the noun "uncle," which serves as the object of "Helping.")

Rae, I am a bit confused. I believe your second example may be ambiguous, but I claim it is correctly punctuated, regardless of which of the senses implied here is meant (the bawdy one or the pedestrian one).

On the other hand, your first example one is not punctuated correctly, at least by any rules with which I am familiar. To wit, no one would ever say "Helping Raelene, out of the car."

Possibly, you meant "Helping your uncle, Jack, off his horse." ? (In this case, "Jack" is used in apposition to the noun "uncle," which serves as the object of "Helping.")

Oh dear. My poor little brain once again let me down.

You are correct Paul, I typed it without proofreading. :se

Last edited:
Personally, I try to never limit myself to only one way to spell a word :)

For the record,

I deny ever having put "Welch's" and "Wine" in the same sentence. I believe that someone hacked by account.

That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

A lot of stuff has been said about wine snobs. I would like to make it a point to say that some expensive wines are worth the price. For the longest time, I was convinced that the difference in quality in a very good $20 bottle of wine and a $100 bottle of wine is not worth the extra money..

That was before I had my first Opus-One.

This wine was so good, I had to sit down. At $150 per bottle, I began to rethink things.

I guess what I am saying is... If you have a preference for expensive wines, that does not automatically make you a wine snob.

I think most people who would buy are order a 150.00 bottle of wine knows what they are doing, and knows there wine. Its more or less about the ones that buy a 20 dollar bottle and know nothing about wine, other then to boast about it...then want to spit it out when your not looking at them.
lol...You know the type...bring a bottle of wine, then boast, then when you open it and taste, its awful, but if you ask them, its wonderful,then hope it gets knocked over so it will be gone...

A lot of stuff has been said about wine snobs. I would like to make it a point to say that some expensive wines are worth the price. For the longest time, I was convinced that the difference in quality in a very good $20 bottle of wine and a $100 bottle of wine is not worth the extra money..

That was before I had my first Opus-One.

This wine was so good, I had to sit down. At $150 per bottle, I began to rethink things.

Good points. This brings us to an almost philosophical question. But first the preface.

I have reported here before that I once won a $75 bottle of Amarone in a "grab bag" kind of deal at a charity event. It was, hands (and feet) down, the best wine I have ever had (which may not be saying that much).

My wife, her girlfriend, and I were all blown away. But, we had somewhat different takes on it. To wit, my wife's friend's opinion was that she would rather have one bottle of this than, say, 5 bottles of $15 wine or 8 bottles of $9 wine. My wife could not justify paying that much for a wine, ever. I am torn -- perhaps I would like to have that experience (and forgo the other 5 or 8 bottles) every other year, or something like that?

Now, I should note that our friend is all talk, of course. She does NOT do what she contended she would do. She does, however, tend to favor higher quality at the expense of quantity or frequency.

Now, some people favor low price as a principal concern, some make high quality the principal concern, and many (most?) make good value the principal concern. I was raised in a "low-price" household, and have been trying most of my adult life to shift to more of a "good-value" type of consumer.

[As a side note, this experience is what led me to winemaking. My BIL thought I would like it, but what cinched it for me was the realization that (in my words at the time) that I "could make bad Amarone for $5 a bottle."]

Good points. This brings us to an almost philosophical question. But first the preface.

I have reported here before that I once won a $75 bottle of Amarone in a "grab bag" kind of deal at a charity event. It was, hands (and feet) down, the best wine I have ever had (which may not be saying that much).

My wife, her girlfriend, and I were all blown away. But, we had somewhat different takes on it. To wit, my wife's friend's opinion was that she would rather have one bottle of this than, say, 5 bottles of $15 wine or 8 bottles of $9 wine. My wife could not justify paying that much for a wine, ever. I am torn -- perhaps I would like to have that experience (and forgo the other 5 or 8 bottles) every other year, or something like that?

Now, I should note that our friend is all talk, of course. She does NOT do what she contended she would do. She does, however, tend to favor higher quality at the expense of quantity or frequency.

Now, some people favor low price as a principal concern, some make high quality the principal concern, and many (most?) make good value the principal concern. I was raised in a "low-price" household, and have been trying most of my adult life to shift to more of a "good-value" type of consumer.

[As a side note, this experience is what led me to winemaking. My BIL thought I would like it, but what cinched it for me was the realization that (in my words at the time) that I "could make bad Amarone for $5 a bottle."]

I guess my position is that when so many people in this country go to sleep really hungry and so many people with whom we share this planet are quite literally starving , spending $150, or more, on a bottle of wine is a gesture I find difficult to understand , still less justify...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back