Mosti Mondiale Fermenting question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keahunter

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making wine so this may be a really noobie question but, I started on Saturday afternoon (it's now Monday morning) and there is a layer of foam on the top of the must, but It doesn't appear as though the air lock has moved at all. Is that ok? I guess I expected a more active fermentation with lots of bubbling. I used to make beer and if I remember correctly, that's what it did. The instructions call for me to stir it at day three to re-suspend the yeast so perhaps that will help. Should I worry or is all ok? Thanks. I'm making a Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Barolo.

That is fine, it is just starting it will become more active.

Pretty sure it's fine. It takes 24+ hours just to propagate the yeast, so no worries. If your airlock isn't bubbling at all, you might not have a good seal on the carboy. By tomorrow you should see a very active fermentation.

Thank you everyone...I have it in a bucket and according to the directions, I am not supposed to seal the bucket for 48 hours.

Thanks for all your advice everyone, went home and took a reading, stirred the must, sealed the top, and it instantly started bubbling the lock. Thanks again!

I keep my primarys open with a cloth on top to keep critters out...I give it as muck oxygen as i can until it is at 1.000, are longer if i decide to ferment out...
I never use air lock on primary....

I keep my primarys open with a cloth on top to keep critters out...I give it as muck oxygen as i can until it is at 1.000, are longer if i decide to ferment out...
I never use air lock on primary....

once your must is down to 1.010 you really should be snapping down that lid and adding an airlock or racking it to a carboy. Your must is slowing down and it now needs to be protected from oxygen.

Latest posts

Back