Fermenting Cap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesnow

Reaction score
On the last day I usually don't Break the Fermenting Cap till the next day, so I can remove the liquids from the facet that I incorporated below the Primary. I find this method convenient separating liquids and pulp but I'm wondering if leaving the skins exposed to Air for 18 -24 hrs may not be a good idea?
Should I keep on breaking the Cap till the end keeping skins wet and do everything by bucket?

IMHO, "breaking the cap (or puching down) is done to mix the skins into the wine to increase the sikn's exposure to the juice. A lot of saught-after components of a red wine come from the skins. by punching down, you increase the absorbtion of the "skin components.

Also, it is the expelled CO2 that is making your wine safe. The positive pressure CO2 produced during fermentation acts like a protective blanket, allowing very little outside air to come into contact with your wine.

If fermentation is ending, and not a lot of CO2 is being produced, you really need to get your wine under an airlock.

I agree, what I'm questioning is when I notice the fermentation is slowing down and predict the next day I will be pressing; do I break up the cap again one last time because I usually don't. Its easier to keep the cap whole, till the next day to remove the juice under the cap. This means the skins are exposed to air, because the cap wasn't submerged one last time into the juices. My question is , is this OK or may this invite a problem.

I agree, what I'm questioning is when I notice the fermentation is slowing down and predict the next day I will be pressing; do I break up the cap again one last time because I usually don't. Its easier to keep the cap whole, till the next day to remove the juice under the cap. This means the skins are exposed to air, because the cap wasn't submerged one last time into the juices. My question is , is this OK or may this invite a problem.
When reaching minus 1 Brix or below and the cap begins to sink by itself. This is a normal situation. You can lightly push down the cap to keep it wet 12 hours before you want to press without a problem you don't have to mix it up as you did with regular punch downs. Many times for any number of reasons you do not or cannot press and have to wait. As the cap starts to stay submerged or you lose the cap you are ok. Even in this state the wine is still producing enough Co 2 to protect itself. What you can do to protect the wine in this situation is to cover the top of the wine with a layer of stretch tite or syran wrap. I do not mean over the edge of the fermentor but a layer directly on the top of the wine. Any cap that is left will stay wet and the Co2 will be kept in the vat. This will allow you a few days before you have to press even though the cap is not forming as it was when you had a very active fermentation.
Malvina

Latest posts

Back