WineXpert fermentation stuck??....from a newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toothfairy425

Junior
Reaction score
I just got a wine kit for Christmas. I started my riesling Dec 31st. It came with the yeast already mixed in the bucket for me. I picked my juice up at a local winery. My starting reading was .1080. I followed the instructions and at day 10 racked into the carboy even thought the sg was only .1030. I probably should have waited. Anyway....today is day 23 and the sg is only at .1020 in the carboy. I purchased some yeast energizer and racked back into the primary fermenter tonitehoping this might help. The temp in my basement is about 62 degrees. What should I do.......please offer some advice!!! Thanks TheresaEdited by: toothfairy425

First thing I would do is GET BACK UNDER GLASS!!!!! NOW!!!!

Then......... Welcome to the forum.

You need as little air contact as possible. By putting back in the primary, it may not be producing enough CO2 to cover it sufficiently to get out the air. Yeast energizer will help, along with a good stirring, no need now since it's been racked, but you need to put it back under glass.

Make sure it's topped up well, put an airlock on it and see what happens after the addition of yeast energizer............. Give it a day or so.

Oh yea....... Did I say
20070122_200116_welcome111.gif
To the forum!Edited by: jobe05

Welcome, Get that temp up to about 72*. What kind of kit comes with the
yeast mixed in like this? Did someone start this then give it to you?

Edited by: wade

I would contact the local winery. It is their product and they should know what needs to be done. I doubt you are the only one that has had this problem with their product.

Wow....thanks for the warm response. It is back under glass and I topped it up with another riesling wine. I put the airlock on as well. I was thinking of hanging a lightbulb or shining a bright light to help warm it up (I have a spot light for my disco ball I could use!!!!!) It sure gets warm but I was unsure if exposing it to light was a good idea. Also...what should the final sg readingbe for a riesling wine. I want it a little sweet? Thanks so much for all your helpEdited by: toothfairy425

I have a Raspberry wine that keeps quitting on me because of temps. I
had a lamp on and that works but I have two wines fermenting so I kept
switching and as soon as they cooled down it would stop fermenting. I
went out and bought a brew belt which is an elecvtric belt that wraps
around a carboy or primary bucket and keeps the temp at 75*

20070122_203203_brew-belt.jpg

<table ="maintable" border="2" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<t><tr><td>Item Number</td>
<td>5008</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Description</td>
<td>

Brewing Belt

Designed to wrap around most primary &amp; secondary fermenters.

Heats at a constant 75° F.
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Current Price</td>
<td>$19.99</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Status</td>
<td>Stocked</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Order</td>
<td>Order</font></td></tr></t>
</table>

The safest way to go for a beginner is to let it ferment dry(SG-.994
approx) and sweeten back up after done. The way to do this is to make
sure it is done fermenting by checking that the SG is stable for a few
days in a row. Then you will add potassium sorbate and potassium
metabisulite together to prohit refermention. If this is not done you
could have exploding bottles! After that you mix 2 parts sugar to one
part boiling water and stir to make a syrup. then very gradually
sweeten to taste but do not oversweeten or youll have to add a
commercial wine to dry it back out. Do you know what kind of yeast was
used as some willk stop at a higher SG to retain sugar (residual sugar)?

Edited by: wade

That carboy in the picture is not mine!!!!!!!!!!! I copied off another
website to show Theresa. What a great picture to display a product
huh!!!!
smiley36.gif
Looks like they need to rack and clean and sanitize that CARBOY!!!!!!!

I ordered the brew belt from George......lets hope this does the trick. Until I get the belt....I am gonna use the Disco spot light!!!!

I received the Brew belt...and it really did the job. Thanks for the fast shipping by the way George!! My riesling wine has finished fermenting now and I am ready to rack into the bucket and add the sorbate and metasulphite. I have a drill and a mixer to help with the degassing. I also intend to back sweeten because my wine is really dry now. I am unsure of what order I do these steps in. Also, I have the Kleer packet and I am unsure when to use it. Please help me figure out what order to do these steps in. Thanks

There is no need to transfer back to primary to complete the remaining steps.

1) Degas

2) Add K-meta and Sorbate and stir

3) Sweeten and stir

4) Add Super-Kleer and stir per directions

5) Top up well and add air lock

Thanks for the fast response....is it okay that I have some sediment on the bottom of the carboy? I thought I would need to rack it first.

If there isn't a large amount of sediment you don't need to rack but it will not hurt since you are using Super-Kleer (I assumed from your post) and it isn't as dependent on the solids to clear properly as some of the other fining agents.
Did you get any instructions with your juice? If so and it stated to rack at this point you should follow them.

When stirring in K-meta and sorbate be very careful at first since it
will cause a volcano effect! Stir very slaowly at first!!!!!!!!!!! I'm
serious!!!!!!!

I would definately contact the place were you recieved the juice that might be wer your problem is....
smiley4.gif
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back