fermentation still going strong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunwolf

Reaction score
might be a stupid question...
I started my Sumac wine on 7-30-10, I added the yeast in the primary bucket on 8-02-10. I removed my nylon straing bag and racked into secondary about one week later.
my starting SG was 1.090 and the carboy has been kept between 70 to 75 deg f.
this is the longest I have ever had a wine still bubbling this much at this stage. of course I have had fermentation go on longer, but not this strong.
I checked the SG today and it is at 1.020.

any problems anyone foresee or am I OK?

here is a link to the recipe I used with more specific details.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=71593#post71593

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Long fermentations generally give you better flavor. I am curious as to the color you are getting?
Brad

it is still a pink color almost looks like pink lemonade. smells kinda like a white wine (while during fermentation) tried to taste it while checking SG...hard to get the flavor, very sharp do to it still being very active.

might be a stupid question...
I started my Sumac wine on 7-30-10, I added the yeast in the primary bucket on 8-02-10. I removed my nylon straing bag and racked into secondary about one week later.
my starting SG was 1.090 and the carboy has been kept between 70 to 75 deg f.
this is the longest I have ever had a wine still bubbling this much at this stage. of course I have had fermentation go on longer, but not this strong.
I checked the SG today and it is at 1.020.

any problems anyone foresee or am I OK?

here is a link to the recipe I used with more specific details.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=71593#post71593

If its still in the primary I would rack it off and leave the sediment behind. Then shake it up and add another pkg of yeast and 1/2 the nutrient slowly.

I don't understand Tom. If he thinks he still has fermentation going on, why would you suggest adding more yeast? Do you think his bubbling is just dissolved CO2 out gassing? It did just sink in to me that this batch has been cooking since July.

i don't think it's just Co2 out gassing...it is still bubbling actively like fermentation is still going. this is the first time I have used the RC212 yeast, I am not familiar with it. If my SG is still at 1.020 then I still have sugar to burn correct?
I have had some wines in the past take a long fermentation time do to varying temps...but this one has been consistent.

ETA: I am in no hurry, so I can sit on this for awhile...just thought I would ask now before later(after it's too late)

Last edited:
I think your wine needs a wake up call. If the gravity isn't moving you have a stuck fermentation. So I would do as I said above. Has it moved at all in the last few days?
It's been going on for a month. It should have been dry by now (.990).

I'll check the SG again again in few days...I have had stuck wines (fruit) that were NOT fermenting but never one stuck in fermentation.
I appreciate the input... not new to wine making but ALWAYS on the learning curve!!

NEED HELP!!!! I did as advised above, I racked the wine and degassed then added more yeast....fermentation stopped all together and now it is lying dormant at 1.020 with a slimy haze floating on top and quite the debris filed on the bottom . it i9s still cloudy and has been inactive for about a week now.

and yes everything was sterilized...I am overly cautious with that.

Latest posts

Back