WineXpert Fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
I was going to start my eclipse Pinot noir kit today. But found out had to leave for work for the weekend. Will it be ok to have it fermenting starting later today until Sunday or Monday? I know it's usually 5 to 7 days but if 8 days is it ok?

As long as you have the lid securely in place and an airlock applied it should be just fine. WE kits tend to tell you to rack at 1.020 or so but I just did two cellar craft kits and they said ferment to dryness in primary. You might want to fill the air lock with vodka though. I use star san and it foams a bit causing a little evaporation. Hope this helps. I am looking to get that kit soon. Hope it turns out good!

Thanks for the reply and input. I will fill half of the airlock with vodka and shot for myself lol.

I use kmeta solution in the airlock. The alcohol in the vodka will be gone in hours.

The biggest issue with starting fermentation today and leaving for the weekend isn't the alcohol in the vodka, which by the way, has never evaporated on me, it is the fact that if the must develops issues, such as needing yeast nutrient, or the temps get too low, maybe too high, there isn't anyone there to tend to it.
I'd wait until you come back from your business trip.

Ya. I see. I won't be leaving until Friday which will give tine to check it before I leave. My wife will be around. Maybe I can teach her s bit before I leave. My schedule is always up in the air so I never know if might be called to work following week. Planning on keeping it in my opened closet which my portable temp says it's been 72 constantly. But I totally understand that I should prob wait

I would ask her to stir the wine for about 15 seconds each day. I personally do not put it under an airlock when doing the primary fermentation in order to give it oxygen which it needs badly in the primary. I just place the lid over it, not snapped down or cover with a towel.

Latest posts

Back