Mosti Mondiale Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Robusto

Reaction score
We started our first wine last Sunday morning, around 10:00am. Followed the instructions that came with the juice (MM Kit) and the instructions that George provided.

We placed the Primary in a room that has had pretty stable temperature (high of 76.7 and low of 69.9). Within the first 8 hours started to notice some bubbling. Yeah! Within 24 hours, a nice foam across the top and plenty of bubbling and popping.

Now at 48 hours, we see that the layer of foam has pretty much disapated and the activity seems to have lessened. Room temp this morning was at 69.9.

Has the activity slowed becasue of temperature or could it be that the majority of the fermentation has been completed?

We are just not sure as to what is supposed to be happening at this stage.

This is quite normal and at 48 hours I would guess the fermentation is close to it's peak or slightly past it. If you were to watch the fermentation closely round the clock you would see many changes and at times it would be active and other times slow. This being said the visual appearance does indicate activity but isn't the best way to monitor progress as it can be deceiving.

Continue to follow the directions and it is best to test the specific gravity to check the true progress of the fermentation.

we've noticed the same thing depending on which kit you are making. I guess the type of yeast as well as the temp. of the must makes a difference . As long as its bubbling I wouldnt worry. when it goes to secondary(carboy) I judge activity by the amount of bubbles in the air lock AND by the specific gravity.

Thanks. I was a bit worried that something happened. Obviously a newbie type of reaction
smiley4.gif

Hi Mr R

Hellos from central california - Springville, that is. We be down Highway 190 way.

Anyway, my first kits was a WE Selection Gwerztraminer that was very
slow acting. Started off fine and then just got lazy.
Posted an email an Wade advised that it was probably the kind of yeast
that was used in the kit. This was the Red Star yeast. He
did say keep taking SG readings and would see that it was working but
not real active. The SG kept droping and all is working out
fine. Racked into carboy and is doing its thing. I also
started a WE Cabernet and a MM Amarone today. Looking forward to
working with them. Kinda strange to dump in a bag of raisins in
the amarone though. But the juice sure looks good. Good
luck with your projects - what are you making? Stay cool
-------------

rrawhide

rrawhide, the raisins give it more body and mouth feel and bump up the
abv just a tiny bit from the sugars, you will not taste the raisins
though so dont worry about that.

Yeast in our fermentation vessels follows the classic microorganism closed system life cycle. In fact, I have used this example to teach that cycle in the past.

1. Lag phase. When you first pitch the yeast nothing happens for a couple of hours to a couple of days. The yeast is acclimating to the environment.

2. Growth phase. This is where the big foaming takes place. The yeast are both metabolizing (turning sugar into alcohol) and reproducing, which requires minute quantities of O2, which was introduced when you stirred the must.

3. Stationary phase. The number of yeast cells has stabilized, but they are still busy turning sugar into alcohol. This is the later part of primary fermentation and the early part of secondary fermentation.

4. Death phase (misnomer). At this point, all of the food (sugar) is gone. If the alcohol content is not too high the yeast cells don't die, they just go to sleep. That's why we add the potassuim sorbate to a wine that is post-sweetened. It keeps them asleep.

The whole point of this diatribe is that each phase operates in its own time, and by its own rules. I am 28 hours into an MM All-Juice Amarone with a relatively mild Growth Phase. I think it is because I didn't add any highly oxygenated tap water, so the Growth Phase didn't result in as much yeast reproduction as kits with lesser volumes of juice/concentrate have, so there are fewer yeast cells converting the sugar.

The end result will be the same, it will just take a little longer to get there. That's fine with me, as I am willing to let the yeast make no wine before its time.

Peter, You forgot the fifth phase...

Phase 5: Oh My! I'm going down someones throat. I hope I taste REALLY Good!!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Peter,

Thanks again for great explanations! Our first MM all-juice, the
Chardillion, just finished fermentation and we saw the slower
(appearing) fermentation than seen with the WE kits and had put it down
to a different yeast type.

BTW we are degassing now and see little gas with that kit. Anybody else see that?

I'm still in the primary, so degassing is in my future. I'll let you know when the time comes. The IM I made for my daughter was a real pain to degas.

Hi PeterZ

Thanx for the explanation - even I understand now. Well, the
gewertz is in the clarifing stage and so is the cab. The amarone
is off the raisins and is resting in oak chips. The riesling is
still in the primary and just perking along. (very small but busy
fermentation bubbles tho). Now am in the process of washing and
soaking bottles. How do you soak off the labels? Hopefully,
very soon all the wines will be in the carboys and just happily
agin'. Then the waiting starts -starts -starts!!! A friend
brought cover a couple of cases of bottles and I told him about the
cost of new glass. at $13-18 a case.(plus shipping). His comment
was why don't I just buy $2 buck chuck (charles shaw) at $24/case with
wine. (ie: Merlot, Cab, Sauv Blanc, Chard and Siraz) and then we can
enjoy a glass(s) of wine while we wash bottles.
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Not too bad an idea. Do you have a
Trader Joes in your area? That's the home of $2/chuck!!
Their wine is really rather good. Anyway, just wanted to say
thanx but got wordiiiiiiiiii!!!

Here's where we are now:

20070705_160941_forum9.JPG

To soak off the labels you can use Staight A cleanser which George
sells and soak in hot water for a few hours. A nice razor blade going
down the length of the bottle will get rid of any really togh ones but
this stuff gets most of them just floating in the water all by itself.
I go to the recycling center and get all mine for free. I ask the guy
there to save me some and offer a few bottles of wine in return. Last
time I did this I received 114 bottles in one day.

I have better luck scraping around the bottle rather than up and down....a sharp blade will get right under the glue.....soaking in hot water is a must... Edited by: Northern Winos

Soak in very hot water and add a small amount of tide and let sit for 24 hours. I'm too lazy to scrape right away, plus by then many labels are floating then. The ones that aren't come off with scraping around the bottle, not up and down. Any residual glue then comes off at the same time with around scraping rather then up and down. Much more contact surface for the razor than the up and down method.

I use hot water and automatic dishwashing soap. Works pretty well on most labels.

Heat from the exhaust header ona Small Block Chevy works for Us!!!! burns em right off!
smiley36.gif

I use a good sharp scraper under hot running water working horizontally across the bottle. Change the blade often as it will get dull.A quick scrub with an SOS pad removes any residual glue.

Latest posts

Back