Fermentation has stalled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjsimon88

Junior
Reaction score
Purchased first 6 gallon Merlot juice and ran to a couple issues. I heard from my local wine store that you should stop the wild yeast from fermenting with sulfites and and in your own yeast. First off it read 1.100 on my hydrometer when I first tested it. When I added the sulfites to stop fermentation the hydrometer read 1.060. So I stirred in the sulfites waited the recommended 24 hours (actually about 30 hrs) added the new yeast. Waited 48 hrs and nothing. Contacted the local wine store and they said to add yeast nutrients, done that 48 hrs nothing. What can I do to get the fermention started again.
smiley19.gif

How long did you wait after taking the reading of 1.100 before adding the sulfites and testing again? Normally you would add 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta or 6 campden tablets. That is done the very first thing, not a couple days later. You don't want to stop the fermentation- you want to prevent the fermentation using the wild yeasts. That's why it is added at the very beginning. You then wait 24 hours and pitch the yeast of your choice to perform the fermentation.

To get it going again you will need to make sure the wine is at about 70-75 degrees F. Make a yeast starter so that you will get a nice head start of active yeast and that should get it going again. Maintain about 70 degrees during fermentation to dry.

I added the K-meta about 36 hours after the reading. I waited about 30 hours before I pitched the yeast. I sprinkled the yeast on top. The wine is at 72 degrees. I wil try the yeast starter. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back