Fermentation Equipement.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidNW

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I have just started a Kenridge 'classic' 30 bottle Shiraz kit – which is in primary fermentation in a plastic bucket fitted with a loose fitting lid.

The kit's instructions have me a little confused, in that, 3 rackings will be carried out. The first of course, will be from the plastic fermenting bucket to a carboy to complete the fermentation.

The second involves racking to a carboy and degassing. I have only one carboy, and of course, the wine is already in that. Can I rack back to the plastic fermenting bin, seal the lid and fit an airlock and bung? Finally, I could rack to my carboy (which will now be free), then siphon into bottles from there.

Part of the kit's 'required equipment' says that I need 'a carboy'. However, if I followed the kit's instructions to the letter – I would actually need 2 carboys.The kit's instructions are not specific to the 'actual' Kenridge classic Shiraz, in that they are generalised instructions to cover 4 different brands of wine kits. Hope my question isn't dumb. Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

David.

You can rack to the bucket. Put the lid on to keep stuff from falling in. Clean and sanitize the carboy, then back to the carboy. Or, go buy another carboy or four.

Thanks, like your style. Now, 4 carboys - that's a good idea!!

You can rack to the bucket. Put the lid on to keep stuff from falling in. Clean and sanitize the carboy, then back to the carboy. Or, go buy another carboy or four.
I couldn't have said it better.

One addition, most find degassing to be easier while the wine is in the bucket.

BTW, Ken Ridge Classic Shiraz is a nice choice. My experience is that it will definitely improve over 3-6 months (or maybe even more). It's OK to drink earlier, but try to hang on to some that long, at least.

Steve

cmason1957 said it all.
and never put a 1 gallon near a 5 gallon, you may end up with a 6...
they will indeed multiply...

Latest posts

Back