Ferm question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almarques7

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, making my first two batchs of wine. I have two fermenting now one is 400lbs of crushed cabernet sauv and the other is 72lbs of Shiraz (two seperate fermenters) I have the Shiraz in a tote and I just sprinkled the yeast over the two batchs last night after rehydrating. I noticed this morning that the cab is bubbling away and the shiraz isn't doing anything. I haven't mixed in the yeast yet i am going to let it sit on top for 20 hours before. Now I have read that small batchs are harder to start fermenting are there any tips you guys have for small batchs? I also haven't added the yeast nutrient yet, I have fermax, when do you guys think I should add it?

Cheers Alex

Welcome to the forum.

It hasn't been very long since you pitched the yeast, so I wouldn't be too concerned; it can take up to 72 hours.

You did say you did a yeast starter. If I do a starter, which I always do, I stir the yeast in as soon as I pitch it. If you want to wait 20 hours, I assume you have some instructions that say to do that, so that is perfectly fine.

These are some questions for you to consider:
Was the yeast starter bubbling away and doing well when you pitched it?
How long had the starter been going when you finally pitched it?

Did you make sure the starter's temperature and the must temperature were within a few degrees of each other?

Is the temperature of the must in a normal range for the type of yeast? I like to get the must temperature up to about 72 to get the yeast started, then adjust temp as needed.

Likely, very soon after you stir it in, it also will take off.

I'd call 72 lbs a standard size batch and 400 lbs a large batch (for home winemaking).

I looked up fermax on the internet but couldn't find anything about it. Maybe it's the spelling.

Is it a yeast energizer or a yeast nutrient?

Maybe some of the others on here know about it, sorry.

It's a yeast nutrient bought it at the local beer and wine hobby shop. I am concerned about my must temp its only at 60 degrees. It's sitting in my hallway it's a little cold in new england right now outdoor temp is low 60s. Should i be concerned about 60 degrees?

I rehydrated the yeast in 100 degree water then slowly poured it into a cup of must (same volume as the yeast) then sprinkled it over the top of must. Then I was told to let it sit on top for 20 hours then stir it in. what do you guys think?

It's a yeast nutrient bought it at the local beer and wine hobby shop. I am concerned about my must temp its only at 60 degrees. It's sitting in my hallway it's a little cold in new england right now outdoor temp is low 60s. Should i be concerned about 60 degrees?

I rehydrated the yeast in 100 degree water then slowly poured it into a cup of must (same volume as the yeast) then sprinkled it over the top of must. Then I was told to let it sit on top for 20 hours then stir it in. what do you guys think?

I don't know what strain of yeast you are using.
I would say 60 F is going to be too low to "start" the fermentation. See if you can raise the temp to about 72F to get it started. Then you can lower the temp if needed. However, 60 is very cold, depending on the yeast, of course.

When you added the hydrated yeast to the cup of must, you should make sure they are each near the same temperature. It sounds like they might have been 30 or 40 degrees different. That is an issue and could have shocked the yeast. However, people do this all the time and somehow the yeast survive... just don't count on it

Also, you should have left the re-hydrated yeast on the cup of must for at least a couple of hours before you pitched it. That way they would already be eating away and acclimated to the must. Within a couple of hours, the starter would have been happily bubbling away, indicating the yeast were healthy. This lets you know ahead of time that the yeast are viable.

Check the SG and if it is not fermenting, warm it up, stir in some air, and give it another 12 hours. If it has not started by then, I'd get some more of the same strain of yeast and make another starter.

Typically you use a yeast energizer in the yeast starter and use a yeast nutrient later in the fermentation process. However, it would not have hurt anything up front.

good info robie thanks.... I put the yeast in yesterday around 8pm and when i went down this morning around 6am the yeast was bubbling away in my barrel with the 400lbs of must. the fermenter with the 72lbs on the other hand had no visible fermenting.

That yeast is rated 59 to 86F. 60 F is pretty much on its low end.
Once it gets started, it should provide a slow, smooth fruity fermentation.

Good luck.

pitched the yeast, let it sit on top for 20 hours stirred it all in with yeast nutrient, temp was 60 degrees, came back 24 hours later and it was bubbling away! the cap was about 8 inches thick... that yeast really caught well in 60 degree temp now the temp is around 72... thanks for the input guys

Congrats! You are moving; it just took awhile.
The temperature will continue to rise, so watch it that it doesn't go over the yeast's upper limit.
Stir the cap and foam down 2 to 3 times a day. Stirring really well also can help lower the temperature a little.

Keep us informed as to how this batch goes. Regular updates will be nice.

As far as the fermax, I assume you plan on doing "punch downs"? If so, add your fermax to the top of the "raft" and punch down to mix it in.

I have done this in the past with no ill effects. You may see a lot of fizzing as the fermax hits the yeast.

Normally, I simply add that once the grapes are crushed so that it is completely disolved when I add my yeast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back