Feeble fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Six days ago I added rehydrated yeast to a 3 gallon batch of strawberry rhubarb wine. After a couple days I saw a little activity in the air lock, but it was very weak. I measured the brix today and there is no detectable change. Not sure what the problem could be.

Here's the pertinent info:

• 3 gallons of rhubarb and strawberry juice made from fresh ingredients.
  • Added sugar and some homemade cider concentrate to bring brix to 22.5.
  • pH 3.43
  • Packet of Cote des Blancs yeast rehydrated carefully with GoFerm Protect at 104 degrees. Yeast was not past expiration date.
  • It's under an airlock, but I have stirred it daily.
I did use the whole 5 gram packet of yeast instead of measuring out 3 grams. I did notice that during rehydration I didn't see any foaming which I normally see with this yeast. Bad packet of yeast? Should I try another?

Thanks for any ideas.

I would get rid of airlock and tight lid so it can get more oxygen. Stir it twice daily.
Did you add any nutrient to it?
If nothing in a couple days, pitch some more yeast.

Assuming your must temps are in the 70's, that thing should have blazed along nicely, assuming it had enough nutrients. I'm suspecting also that is the culprit.

@Zog sounds like it might be bad yeast, like you thought. Or rehydration could do it. I just sprinkle my yeast now to avoid that issue, and it always works fine. I would repitch.

I also just sprinkle. Is it possible that you used to high a temperature, something over the 104F called for, to re-hydrate and maybe killed the yeast?

I agree with Johnd. Lack of nutrient is the reason for sluggish ferments.

Thanks.

I used GoFerm Protect Evolution which is a nutrient by Scott Labs. The rehydration was definitely at 104 degrees. The must itself is at 76 degrees and I waited for the temperature of the rehydrate to drop to under 90 before stirring it in.

Based on all your thoughts I could add some more yeast nutrient, sprinkle in another packet of yeast, lose the tight lid and stir twice a day. Sound like a plan? I can't think of any reason this would hurt anything.

Not sure you said what the current brix reading is, but I'll assume there is plenty of sugar left.

I would take a half gallon, add nutrient and some sugar to 6 bricks. When it ferments down to 3 brix, add another 1/2 gallon. Rinse and repeat until done. I did this to 60 gallons of Zin and got it go go dry.

Latest posts

Back