Faster stock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
Anyone have any good suggestions on a great wine kit that would be quick to start drinking while I wait to age my others? White and reds.

I've been very pleased with all the RJS VdV 4-week kits I've tried. $75.00 @ my LHBS.

Have you tried any mist kits? I've made winexpert island mist peach apricot chardonnay twice and it is the fastest clearing kit I have made. It can be bottled at 2 months if not sooner. Everyone seems to like it unless they are not a sweet wine person. I did bump up the sugar on this one to boost the alcohol content to about 10%.

Are you interested in brewing a beer kit? It uses all the same equipment, just add a floating thermometer and empty beer bottles. I just tried a beer kit and so far I am pleased with the fast and easy results. It may be a nice and quick project to distract you from the wines. I made Brewer's Best English Brown Ale, $42.

Have you tried any mist kits? I've made winexpert island mist peach apricot chardonnay twice and it is the fastest clearing kit I have made. It can be bottled at 2 months if not sooner. Everyone seems to like it unless they are not a sweet wine person. I did bump up the sugar on this one to boost the alcohol content to about

When did you add the extra sugar? Did you do sugar water?

The Mist kits are concentrated juice so you normally add about 4 gallons of water to reach the 6 gallon mark of you primary. So I just take some of that water and heat it with sugar to just below boiling. Normally, without adding sugar your starting Specific Gravity is 1.050. I would have added normal table sugar, but was low of sugar so I added 5 cups sugar and 1.25 cup of honey that I had. That brought it up to 1.064 starting SG. I think you could add more sugar, but I believe the advice I have seen is to not boost the sugar too much as you do not want the alcohol to overpower the peach apricot flavor. A lot of people make this kit so you can see how others tweaked it.

Even the higher end white wine kits are quite good at 3-6 months. Save a case for longer term aging because they do definitely improve for a year or two. But you can enjoy the rest quite early.

Quick and Great do not go together with wine.

I know but was thinking something quicker then a year or two. I have my Pinot eclipse fermenting as we speak then I have my Cali Merlot/cab starting next week. So wanted to start a kit that I could drink with my wife sooner

Faced with the same predicament, I made a batch of WE Mezza Luna Red. Still too early to tell, but most reports are that it is a relatively quick drinker, like 6 mos. or so.

I know but was thinking something quicker then a year or two. I have my Pinot eclipse fermenting as we speak then I have my Cali Merlot/cab starting next week. So wanted to start a kit that I could drink with my wife sooner

Are you set on the dry reds?

If you want to try something different that will be ready to drink within 1-2months of bottling, give Dragon Blood (it is a sticky under the recipes) a try. There are numerous variations of it so you should be able to find one that suits your needs.

Are you set on the dry reds?

If you want to try something different that will be ready to drink within 1-2months of bottling, give Dragon Blood (it is a sticky under the recipes) a try. There are numerous variations of it so you should be able to find one that suits your needs.

Ok will check it out

Wildvines, For a white try World Vineyards California Trinity White and red I would go for Vinters Reserve Bergamais . Both 4 week kits - can have them in about 8 weeks.

I agree with wineforfun. I make Dragon Blood for the purpose you've stated.

I think I decided to do the dragon blood. I picked up all things needed from local store and will start it next week. I have my second primary bucket and carboy coming in on Friday lol. Damn this hobby is addictive.

I was told the Winexpert Australian Petit Verdot is good after 9 months, and great after 18. So, I made it a month ago.

I also made the Dragon Blood, and am hoping that is drinkable soon.

Regarding Island Mist, I added extra sugar up front. Dissolved it into the water that is added at the beginning. I also cut the sweetness by putting 1/2 of the F-Pack in at the beginning, and the balance after stabilizing.

Latest posts

Back