FAST Wines That Don't Take Long To Bottle/Drink

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are also accelerator packs for kit wines that claim to make the wine drinkable in a week or so. I haven't made these so can't attest to them but you may want to check them out.
Also, since getting hosed with the guys is part of your plan, check out the video link from another thread, " Graphic reminder..." under General Chit Chat section, if you haven't already seen it - sorry, I don't know how to post a link.
(tehttp://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8st)

Good video to watch...good reminder!

Here is the direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

I also stole this quote from another recent thread about using store bought juice. This one also appears to be a very fast recipe from what he says, but the darn link is in another language. Anybody have a translated version?

"One of my all time favorit wines is this one:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/05/klaar-voor-de-zomer-ready-for-summer.html

Made from apple-peach juice from Aldi's. I make 10 gallon each year in spring and its always gone before the end of summer !!!

This can be bottled witin 2 months after it is started. Your mileage my differ depending on the juice, yeast and other variables.

I never rack mine. I bottle it as soon as it's finished and like said that is usually within two months."

What, no racking and he's bottling in two months or so! Sounds like another good candidate for me. Just need somebody to translate it to english.

I also stole this quote from another recent thread about using store bought juice. This one also appears to be a very fast recipe from what he says, but the darn link is in another language. Anybody have a translated version?

Made from apple-peach juice from Aldi's. I make 10 gallon each year in spring and its always gone before the end of summer !!!

This can be bottled witin 2 months after it is started. Your mileage my differ depending on the juice, yeast and other variables.

I never rack mine. I bottle it as soon as it's finished and like said that is usually within two months."

What, no racking and he's bottling in two months or so! Sounds like another good candidate for me. Just need somebody to translate it to english.

Usual Luc's posts have English translation at the bottom, he says (at the bottom) of this post that the juice in the recipe is not available in Aldi's in English speaking areas, so he did not provide a translation.

Try this link: http://translate.google.com/transla.../05/klaar-voor-de-zomer-ready-for-summer.html

This is using Google Translate to translate the site.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies thus far. Much of this stuff is confusing to use newbies. It's a shame that the 2 month recipe above doesn't use a juice found in English speaking stores. Does anybody have any more say 3 month or less juice recipes they can post using juice?

Right now I think I'm going to start off with making Skeeter Pee in one of my free carboys to sit along with my pear wine which we started about 7 weeks or so ago. I still have a third free carboy and I'd like to make some kind of fast juice wine with it, so that's why I am pushing hard for some recipes in this thread. I want at least one carboy being used for "fast" wine recipes all the time while the other two I'd like to at least get by with 3 month recipes or less. I just don't have the kind of patience to be making stuff that has to sit 6 months to a year, but I guess (?) that pear wine I made needs to sit at least 4 to 6 months?

I figure Skeeter Pee is a good way to get things rolling quick. I'll buy a capper and caps, but I need to get bottles. Anybody figure raiding the dumpster at a bar might be a good source of beer bottles I can cap for the Skeeter Pee?

I'm still wondering where F-Pacs are bought. Only through wine supply stores or do Grocery stores carry them?

Degassing- So that has to be done even if you are using Sorbate and Campden? Do I just take an egg wisk and froth around in there for a bit, then wait a few weeks to bottle, or do it right at bottling?

Thanks again for all the info. One more thing for now. Making Skeeter Pee with no slurry- Thanks for the tip on using EC1118 yeast. Any other things I need to alter about his recipe when using that?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon here, as I'm going back over the Skeeter Pee instructions before heading out for that stuff.

Frozen Juice Concentrate Wine

Start to finish takes about 35 days to get into the bottle. Bottle age for 30 days.

This is for a 1 Gallon batch, just times everything by the number of gallons you want to make. Example, for a 6 gallon batch, use 6 times everything listed below. I've made this using the Welch's Grape (concord) flavor. I've also made it with Welch's White grape Raspberry...Yummm!

**This is my adaptation of the WELCH'S FROZEN CONCENTRATE WINE recipe on Jack Keller's Site.

Here is the recipe and steps.

* 2 cans (11.5 oz) 100% frozen grape concentrate (Any flavor Welch's, Old Orchard, etc.)
* 1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
* 2 tsp acid blend
* 1 tsp pectic enzyme
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* Campden Tablets
* Potassium Sorbate
* Super Kleer
* water to make 1 gallon
* wine yeast

1. Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water.
  2. Remove from heat and add to Primary.
  3. Add frozen concentrate.
  4. Add additional water to make one gallon.
  5. If you have a hydrometer, add sugar in small amounts until SG is at 1.095. If you do not have a Hydrometer, just add all sugar.
  6. Add Acid Blend, Pectic Enzyme and yeast nutrient.
  7. Place lid on Primary, do not snap down.
  8. Wait 12-24 hours.
  9. Sprinkle Yeast on top of juice, snap down lid and fit Airlock.
  10. Stir wine Daily and Check SG (if possible).
  11. When SG gets to 1.010 or when active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), rack into Secondary
  12. Top up with water
  13. Fit airlock.
  14. When SG stops dropping for 3 consecutive days or when Fermentation stops...go to next step.
  15. Rack wine to Clean Primary
  16. Add 1 Campden Tablet per Gallon
  17. Add Potassium Sorbate per package instructions
  18. Degass for two minutes with drill mixer or whip: alt. 30 sec right, 30 sec left.
  19. Wait 20 minutes
  20. Degass for two minutes with drill mixer or whip: alt. 30 sec right, 30 sec left.
  21. Optional: Use VaccuVine to do additional degassing.
  22. Add Super Kleer per packet Instructions
  23. Rack into your carboy (clean first)
  24. Wait atleast 2 weeks for wine to clear
  25. Once clear, rack wine to Primary

If NO sediment was picked up:
back sweeten (to your taste)
bottle.

If sediment was picked up
back sweeten (to your taste)
rack into your carboy (clean first)
top up with water
wait 1-2 weeks until clear again
rack wine to Primary
Bottle

Let me know if you have any questions about the above recipe.

Enjoy!

Matt

Last edited:
By the way, start the above Juice wine first, then you can use the Slurry from it to start the Skeeter Pee! :D

Anybody figure raiding the dumpster at a bar might be a good source of beer bottles I can cap for the Skeeter Pee?

Go to your favorite bar and ask the bartender if they would save some bottles for you. Some have had good luck with this, esp. if you go to that bar often! Just make sure the are non-screw top bottles!

I'm still wondering where F-Pacs are bought. Only through wine supply stores or do Grocery stores carry them?

To my knoweldge, you have to make your own. Unless someone else knows of a place...then please share!!!

For the Juice Wines, I've heard some have used one or two cans of juice they made the wine from as an F-Pac.

Degassing- So that has to be done even if you are using Sorbate and Campden? Do I just take an egg wisk and froth around in there for a bit, then wait a few weeks to bottle, or do it right at bottling?

It doesn't HAVE to be done, but it really helps. You want to do this when you add the Sorbate, Campden and Clearing Agent. Degassing will really help in aiding in the clearing of the wine.

Making Skeeter Pee with no slurry...any other things I need to alter about his recipe when using that?

I'd recommend creating a yeast starter the same night you start the Skeeter Pee, then you can use the "Slurry" on day 2.

I've been getting some home brewing/wine making books from the library. Thus far every one I've rented has been pretty bad content wise for a newbie like me, but I just got a new book that I think was just released and so far it's much better. This book contains info on making wines, ciders, perrys, beer, and a few other drinks. The name of this book escapes me at the moment but I'll post it next time.

Anyway, since my first wine making attempt is pear I thought I'd flip right to that section to see what it has to say on that. This book says that wine made from pears is called a Perry. I've never heard that before so I read on with intrest. It also says that Perry can be bottled and drank within a few weeks of making it. That jives with what I was thinking because this stuff tastes pretty darn good already only 7 weeks or so out and is fairly clear, or at least way clearer than I thought it would be at this time. I believe this recipe calls for either apples or grapes to go with the pears or pear juice. We had use 6 pounds of white rasins with our cooking pears to make ours, and we didn't follow this recipe but it looks pretty similar to ours.

I'll post the recipe from this book soon as I think it fits in nicely with the theme of this thread. Now I just have to wonder who to listen to...bottle it not or wait like 6 months.

I've been getting some home brewing/wine making books from the library. Thus far every one I've rented has been pretty bad content wise for a newbie like me, but I just got a new book that I think was just released and so far it's much better. This book contains info on making wines, ciders, perrys, beer, and a few other drinks. The name of this book escapes me at the moment but I'll post it next time.

Anyway, since my first wine making attempt is pear I thought I'd flip right to that section to see what it has to say on that. This book says that wine made from pears is called a Perry. I've never heard that before so I read on with intrest. It also says that Perry can be bottled and drank within a few weeks of making it. That jives with what I was thinking because this stuff tastes pretty darn good already only 7 weeks or so out and is fairly clear, or at least way clearer than I thought it would be at this time. I believe this recipe calls for either apples or grapes to go with the pears or pear juice. We had use 6 pounds of white rasins with our cooking pears to make ours, and we didn't follow this recipe but it looks pretty similar to ours.

I'll post the recipe from this book soon as I think it fits in nicely with the theme of this thread. Now I just have to wonder who to listen to...bottle it not or wait like 6 months.

A perry is similar to making apple cidar but you use pears and there are different steps.

"Traditional perry making is broadly similar to traditional cider making, in that the fruit is picked, crushed to make pomace, and pressed to extract the juice, which is then fermented using the wild yeasts found on the fruit's skin. The principal differences between perry and cider are that pears must be left for a critical period to mature after picking, and the pomace must be left to stand after initial crushing to lose tannins, a process analogous to wine maceration. After initial fermentation, the drink undergoes a secondary malolactic fermentation while maturing." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry

I would be interested in the recipe.

I'll get to posting the pear Perry (wine) recipe soon as it says to bottle in a few weeks. It's very similar to the recipe we used so I would assume there is no such thing as pear "wine" by rather it should be called a Perry. I know the stuff tasted pretty good a few weeks after making it and now at around 7 or 8 weeks it tastes good too, but we are going to bulk age it a bit more because it's still got a bit of haze to it, though much clearer than I would have thought.

This new book that just came out is called Strong Waters I believe. Having got a bunch of books from the library and not reading them after skimming through the content and being somewhat let down, thus far this book seems to be real good. Not only does it take the time to explain details in simple fashion to newbies about all aspects of wine making, but it also goes into the more complex topics. It seems to cut out the cr*p and get straight to the point about various topics. It also has both quick/fast recipes as well as longer ones, and covers everything from wine, to cider, to perry, to beers and herbal drinks. I find it's explaination of various topics very direct. For instance, it covers Hydrometers and acid testing, yet the author fully admits that these items are not really needed in wine making and that she doesn't use them most of the time, or at least after having success with the first batch of something.

Please keep the fast wine and other drink recipes coming. Stuff that takes say three months or less to make and bottle and be able to drink. Like I said, one or two of my carboys will be devoted to conventional stuff that takes 6 months or more to make, but my third carboy is going to be devoted to stuff taking three months or less.

I think the key to a quick apfelwein is to keep the ABV low. I'm first batch had an abv of 8% and was cleared in 3 weeks bottled in 2 months and tasted great. The next batch I upped the abv to 12 to 13 thinking i would get the same thing with higher abv. 3 months later still not clear.

Skeeter pee is great. 1st batch bottled. Thanks Lon.

Does anybody have any other "fast" wines (3 months or less, though 2 or less would be more prefered) recipies to post? In particular, I'm looking for some kind of peach/apple, peach/something else like perhaps peach/cherry, or any other combo juice recipes that can be bottled in 3 months or less and the juice can be bought somewhere like Walmart or Aldis. I just printed this entire thread and recipes out to read later and refresh my memory but can always use more "fast" recipes. Mainly I've talked my neighbor into making another batch of wine with one of my other free carboys (she has the basement space) and she seemed intrigued about doing a peach/apple or something similar that can be done fast. Have to read over this thread again to see what's already been covered so there might already be something she'll want to do, but just the same I could use some others to lure her into making something with.

Sultana Banana Wine - What has Fermented the Fastest so far

5 Pounds Bananas Peeled (weight after peeling)
1 Tea bag
4.2 liters water (1 Gallon)
3 cups sugar
1 cup raisins
Juice of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1 Lime
Lalvin EC1118 Yeast

Yield = 3.5 Liters

stickblender.jpeg

200 Watt Stick Blender

stickblender2.jpeg

Business end of Stick Blender

The primary fermenter was an 8 liter stainless steel stock pot. It was not quite large enough as it overflowed once the yeast got going. 3 inches of headroom was not enough.

I sterilized the stock pot by putting water in it, brought it to a boil and then discarded the water. I repeated this 3 times to get any 'flavor' out of the stock pot which had just been used to make turkey soup.

Put half the water, the sugar, the lemon juice and lime juice into the stock pot.

Use the stick blender to aerate, invert and blend the sugar. Let sit a couple of minutes, and then scoop the scum off the top. Your sugar might not throw up scum on the top.

Toss in the bananas and the raisins. Use the stick blender to atomize the bananas and raisins.

I used only half the water during the stick blendering phase, otherwise I would have sprayed banana bits all over the kitchen.

Through dumb beginner luck, the Raisins I used were seedless.

I had used some dark, organic raisins in another batch, but these had seeds. The rule of thumb is that seeds left too long in the primary fermenter add a nasty bitter taste.

Add the rest of the water, and take the stick blender to it. But only enough to make the final mixture the same consistency throughout.

I put the yeast into a measuring cup with 1/4 cup of water at room temperature and left for 15 minutes as per directions on the back of the yeast packet.

I started the yeast re-hydrating, and then began to make the banana/raisin brew. Unboiled banana is supposed to go 'bad' quickly, so I wanted the yeast ready to go as soon as the banana brew was ready.

I put the teabag in about 1/3 of a cup of boiling water right after starting the yeast.

The tea was for tannin, and added a nice bite to the banana / raisin brew. The resulting banana/raisin/tea mix was quite tasty and fairly sweet. It would have made a good beverage for a 5 year old's birthday party. Banana hyperactivity juice.

Everything was at 25 degrees Celsius.

I stirred the yeast / quarter cup water with a fork, and then poured it on top of the banana brew in the stock pot.

In less than 5 minutes, there were strong signs of the yeast going. In about an hour, the entire top of the stock pot was covered with yeast.

At this point I stirred the whole thing with a large slotted spoon to mix the yeast in well.

The banana forms quite a thick layer on top.

When you punch it down, the top layer reforms quickly. After about the third or forth punch down, all of the banana does not rise to the top anymore.

On day four, there were an incredible amount of fruit flies hovering about the brew.

On day 7, I skimmed off as much stuff as I could. Let sit a bit, and then skimmed off more.

Then I strained it through 2 layers of cheese cloth into a 4 liter jug.

It only yielded 3.5 liters, so there was quite a bit of empty space on top.

I added about 1/4 cup of sugar, on the theory that the yeast would generate enough C02 to keep the wine from oxidizing, but this was unnecessary and only increased the ferment time.

About 4 days later, the secondary started bubbling again, and bubbled for about another 5 days.

I thought this was because the yeast needed time respond to the new sugar and to multiply to large enough numbers.

But I have found that after racking in other batches, to the secondary, no matter what the ingredients, the yeast get pissed off and shut down for about 4 days and then start to bubble again. This seems to pretty consistent with and without sugar added to the secondary.

What was amazing, it that this wine was always clear. There never was any haze. The banana bits may float around, and it is a bit of a pain to get rid of them, but even after an hour, the wine was clear.

stockpot.jpeg

8 liter stock pot A bit too small

What does it taste like?

Like a white wine with a slight banana after taste. I cannot taste the lime. The wine tasted good every time it was sampled.

Even with sugaring the secondary, all fermenting was stopped at about 6 weeks and the wine was clear.

The bananas were 59 cents a pound. The lemons were 50 cents a piece. I used the lime because they were only 25 cents a peice and hoped they might add some variety to the flavor.

The raisins were light in color and very tasty, from bulk bins.

The bananas had about 40 percent of the skin covered with black spots when they were used.

I had bad luck finding bananas since. Quite a number of smelt of chemicals. Some never did ripen, and the browning did not appear normal.

It is tough to find cheap fresh fruit this far north. But they seem to almost give bananas away, so it was an obvious choice for experimentation.

Even though total liquid was about 4.5 liters, it only yielded 3.5 liters. The banana and raisins soaked up quite a bit.

As for fast fermenting, 1 gallons batches seem to go a lot faster than 5 gallon batches.

Somewhere between 7% and 10%, fermentation starts to take a lot longer. Where, I have no clue.

I need a lab.

Oh, and Santa, if you are reading this, a couple of hydrometers would make good stocking stuffers.

And if the sleigh is not too crowded, I think I really, really need a vacuum pump.

Received this "fast" wine recipe in a PM. Thanks for that, and feel free to take credit for it if you want your name known or not...

White Grape Peach is a real good combo. Dry or sweet it is a pleasing drink for any type of dinner or swill. I will dig up a recipe. Just started one 2 nights ago. 4 frozen juice concentrates and water, 4 cups table sugar, red star Montrachet yeast packet, and I like to add 1 cup brown sugar, pectic enzyme, 2 tsp yeast nutrient, and for the holidays.....1 tsp nutmeg. 4 cup starter pack warmed to 105* add nutrient and yeast. Let stand over night. Add to primary in the morning. should start about 1.080 ferment to 1.020, rack to secondary, ferment to .995, clear-stabilize-degass-bottle. takes 3-4 weeks. Makes 1 Gallon. Juice concentrate says add 3 cans water, I do 2 1/4. You could do the full 3, and the remainder use as f-pack. I use a fresh can for a thicker f-pack. Less watering down and better flavor this way.

Takes anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks.

I'll soon post that Perry (that's what wine made from Pears is called) recipe I got from a book. This book says it can be bottled in a few weeks. We didn't use this recipe but it's very similar to the one we used with the only real difference in that we used 6 pounds of white raisins while they are using apples as the secondary fruit to the main being Pears. Anyway, we are like 8 or 9 weeks out I think on this stuff and it's real clear now. Wow, just a few days ago it still looked a little cloudy and then today it's crystal clear. Must be the cooler weather keeping the basement cooler.

We had used 10 pounds of sugar and champain yeast along with 30 pounds of pears and 6 pounds of white rasins in the primary. About 3 weeks ago at our last racking the wine was very dry having converted all the sugar to alchohol. It tasted fine, it's just that we don't care for dry wine, so we added like 2 to 4 cups (forget exactly) of sugar and Sorbate and 2 or 3 Campden tablets on the same day. Is that OK or should the sugar go in a few days after the Campden/Sorbate? I doubt the yeast is alive anyway in that high of alchohol with 10 pounds of sugar converted and all. Anyway, tomorrow we plan to bottle. Now, if we don't find the wine is still sweet enough can we add more sugar right at bottling or should we just sweeten to taste when we open a bottle? My concern is that we didn't use enough Campden with the Sorbate and that the yeast might blow the bottles if we add the sugar right at bottling. We are using screw cap wine bottles if that matters. Also, should we add more Campden at bottling and if so then that means wait 2 weeks to drink, right? I'm concerned that with the only 3 tabs in the primary, 1 tab per racking (about 4 rackings....we didn't know what we were doing with how to get rid of sediment...first batch of wine ever), and only 2 or 3 at the last racking a few weeks ago with the Sorbate/sugar, we might not have enough Campden to stop the yeast...Or, if we don't add more Campden when we bottle then the wine won't age well? Will it?

Back