Fast Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyPhil

Reaction score
I have a question, I am new to wine making but I have noticed that, whatever time it usually takes to "make" wine mine seems to go much faster. I can put a gallon in a primary and by the time I get 3 weeks in the Alc content is where it should be. Does the rest of the time just mellow and age the wine. Because none of mine has taken 3 monthes or 6 monthes. It usually takes about 6-8 weeks what am I doing wrong?

You can have 12% ethanol in 7 days. The rest is just waiting for things to settle down and for some chemistry to happen that will improve the taste big time down the road.

What are you using to "make wine"?

Standard Equipment, the cranberry wine, consisted of Cranberries, Acid Blend, Tannin, Peptic Enzyme Sugar and Champane Yeast.
It really does taste good, to everyone that has tasted it, and it took about 6 weeks from start to finish. But, just want to be sure I am OK. I used Potassium Metabisulphite to kill of the yeast and Benotite to clarify. It tastes a bit tart, like a cranberry sauce and has about 9 to 10% alchohol.

Are you making only a gallon at a time? If so sounds like you may pick up a few larger carboys and make more. Perhaps that way some of your wine will get a chance to age and you'll see how good it can be.

I very rarely add clearing to my homemade wines anymore and add them in the kits when I'm not aging them so that slows my process down but have been getting a better product.

As far as fast a fermentation, so many things can help the process along
and warm temps and healthy yeast will speed things along nicely.

Also when posting questions about your wines you may want to start a thread just for that or each wine including the recipe so we can help guide you along. Especially since it sounds like you are now addicted.

Yes I am completely addicted. I so have a 6 gallon primary and a 6 gallon carboy as well. I have used it for kits, as they seem almost foolproof. The Pinot Gris was excellent. I just like to do one gallon first because I am not sure which I will like and want to make 6 gallons of. 6 gallons is alot to commit to when makeing something you may not like.
This happened to a friend of mine that made 6 gallons of cherry, then realized that he really didn't like cherry wine, everyone else was happy as the gave the bottles away but even I am not a fan of sweet cherry wine so it was wasted on me too.
That being said, I like trying before I buy so to speak. The Cranberry wine with certainly make it to the 6 gallon batch.

Also, I deliberately try to make my wine lower in Alc content, I don't like super strong wines, 9-11% is perfect. I want it to have tons of flavor if I want to have something stronger I have whiskey and vodka in the cabinet.

That 9-11% is great place to be with fruit wines and it will help the flavors stand out better and not get lost in the Alc. content...You are on the right track...GOOD LUCK and keep up the good work...ENJOY

Latest posts

Back