WineXpert Fast fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty Knapp

Reaction score
Wow. Just started an Eclipse Riesling kit. Mixed up the must on 4/9/18 and pitched the yeast dry on top of the must as per instructions (Lalvin K1-V1116). Temperature 74F. Laid lid on primary loose and covered with towel.
Next day (4/10/18) it was fermenting. Temperature 72F in morning. 74F later.
Next day (4/11/18) it was fermenting strongly and temperature was 78F, later 80F, and still later 84F. No heater involved. Apparently just the exothermic reaction of the yeast converting sugar to alcohol and CO2.
Next day (4/12/18) still going steady. Temperature dropped to 81F. Later 80F.
Today (4/13/18) temperature at 76F. Fermentation almost stopped. Specific gravity 0.995!

Instructions say to check SG in 5-7 days and it should be below 1.010, then rack to secondary.

Seems awfully fast to me, but guess it's not too far off from the instructions. This is the 5th day, but expected more fermentation in secondary. As is there will be very little if any.

Any thoughts?

Healthy, fresh yeast, moderate temps in a conducive environment can produce very speedy fermentations, not too much to worry about. Cooler and slower is usually better for a white wine, as it helps it retain the aromas and flavors, which can sometimes be blown off in a hotter, faster ferment.

Healthy, fresh yeast, moderate temps in a conducive environment can produce very speedy fermentations, not too much to worry about. Cooler and slower is usually better for a white wine, as it helps it retain the aromas and flavors, which can sometimes be blown off in a hotter, faster ferment.

Yes, I'd rather have a slower fermentation, but had no control over it.
Is there some trick?
A chilling system for home wine making sounds over the top - if there even is such a system.
Thought of floating bags of ice in the must but that didn't really sound feasible.
Thought of holding back a gallon or so of the must and add a quart every day or so each time the fermentation died off.

The most common trick round these parts is close to your idea: many here take a plastic soda bottle, fill it with water, and freeze it. This can be placed in your must to cool it off.

I have wrapped a T-shirt around the fermenter and held it in place with a bungee. Then place the fermenter with the t-shirt in a larger tub. Put ice water in the tub and it will wick up the t-shirt. It more cooling is desired put a fan on the t-shirt to force evaporation.

I think controlling fermentation temperature is the number one thing that differentiates the home winemaker and the commercial winemaker. The problem is much more difficult when fermenting 1000 pounds of grapes at a time. I have a dozen frozen milk jugs I throw at it, but I think I need 100 to really slow the freight train of fermentation. If you are doing a carboy at a time, @sour_grapes gave you an excellent suggestion.

Thanks everyone. Here I thought I was at the mercy of mother nature, but now I see there is something I can do about it. Next time I'll have three or four 2 liter soda bottles of frozen water ready to go and cycle them back to the freezer as they melt. If temperature is still a problem I'll employ the water tub/evaporative cooling.

Love this forum.

Just hope this batch hasn't lost the aromas and flavors the Riesling is known for. The kit includes an F-pack, so hopefully that will add some aromas/flavors back in.

Latest posts

Back