Fast ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce53

Reaction score
Picked, crushed and full de-stemed 360 lbs merlot, pH: 32, TA: 0.9, Brix: 23, cool. Added 50ppm sulfite, 3g Lallyzme, 1g DAP, 1oz Fermaid, 50g French Red. At first punch-down added Ft Rouge sacrificial tannin and Opti Red nutrient. Added warming blanket and temperature went to 85. It fermented bigtime and it was all over in four days. Didn't go to carboys for another two days (business travel). Maybe a problem here: In the carboys there is no fermenting left at all. TA is very high, still about 0.8! I added ML yeast but I really don't expect it to take. What should I do now? Calcium carbonate? Thanks for the help...

Sound like a good suggestion. I'll do it if that won't kill all MLT attempts??

The cold stabilization would take place after the MLF is finished.

What was the PH? With TA that high, the PH might be pretty low. (might)

At 23 brix, the ABV level should be OK for standard mlf. The PH value will determine how well it might go through mlf. If PH is less than 3.4, you might need to look at a special mlf bacteria. They sell some that work at lower PH.

You will need to get the temperature down below 72F for mlf to work.

What is the SG?

Last edited:
Thanks guys..

SG is a hair less than 1...

Finished! I have 35 gal pressed out and 10 gal of loose cake which is bearly moist. My biggest problem is that I really don't know wine and can't tell good wine from two buck chuck. I drink it every night for supper but I don't buy wine often over $10. All taste ok to me. So this lot taste a bit tart to me, with the high TA, but I am happy to let it ride for a long time...
Skoal to the northland, Skoal! ...HWL

Latest posts

Back