Fall pa juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to making the trip to Northeast PA yesrerday and picked up my fall juice. Sugar was adjusted to 21 brix last night and yeast was pitched this am. I'm happy to say they are fermenting away nicely. Here's what I picked up...

12 Seyval Blanc
12 Concord
18 Fredonia
20 Catawba
15 Niagra
12 Diamond

The Fredonia and Seyval Blanc were early wine finished dry and filtered.

I'll use some of the Niagra for a Jalepeno Pepper wine this year. Maybe a 3 gallon batch..

As you know I went to walkers on Friday, brix was 21 on all of them, I got

Delaware
Cayuga
Blushing Bride
Gewurtz
Traminette
All are fermenting nicely.

Everything is fermenting nicely, judging from the activity in the edelweiss, should be ready for glass soon. Ill check sg tomorrow.

Thanks for posting this ffemt, my wife and I went to Luva 3 saturdays ago, and i got 5 buckets but i wish I had picked up more. Do you find it hard to keep up with stirring and measuring all the buckets at the same time?

Thanks for posting this ffemt, my wife and I went to Luva 3 saturdays ago, and i got 5 buckets but i wish I had picked up more. Do you find it hard to keep up with stirring and measuring all the buckets at the same time?

Not at all, I go down in the am before work to stir then again at dinner time. I just make it a routine when I have fermenting juice. After it hits glass I try to rack 1 or 2 varieties at a time over the course of a week so that I'm not doing it all at one time then I just keep track of what has been done on my cards.

Speaking of Walkers juice ,, thanks Julie!! My Raspberry Blush is @.997 today under EC-1122 and some nutrient. Kind of tart/citrusy. Did not check acid before fermenting, just presumed it would have been within range ,,, oops! Plan on backsweetening anyway, but will check acid. If out of range, what to do?? Since it could get cold enough soon, I may just put it outside for stabilization..

Where in Northeast PA do you pick up the juices? My family is all from up that way.

Brew bush there are a handful of places in Northeast, PA. I get mine from Walker's Fruit Basket in Forestville, NY.

Gary, I'm thinking the TA was around .85. Mine fermented pretty quick as well, got them all in glass today.

Speaking of Walkers juice ,, thanks Julie!! My Raspberry Blush is @.997 today under EC-1122 and some nutrient. Kind of tart/citrusy. Did not check acid before fermenting, just presumed it would have been within range ,,, oops! Plan on backsweetening anyway, but will check acid. If out of range, what to do?? Since it could get cold enough soon, I may just put it outside for stabilization..

I was looking at their inventory, they seem to have a nice selection and they ship to me.

What have you made from them and how did they turn out for you?

Where in Northeast PA do you pick up the juices? My family is all from up that way.

As Julie said, there is Walkers in New York in PA there is Presque Isle, Mazza and Mobilla Farms that I'm aware of. I would venture most of the PA places are in the process of fermenting the juice at this late date in the season.

Brew bush there are a handful of places in Northeast, PA. I get mine from Walker's Fruit Basket in Forestville, NY.

Gary, I'm thinking the TA was around .85. Mine fermented pretty quick as well, got them all in glass today.

Well!! so much for "cold soon!!" I haven't taste tested any newly fermented for some time so just forgot how :sh it could be! Next taste will be in April or May

Lol, Gary you still have time, it is gonna get cold honest it will!

Back