Failure: peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked at their site. Everything is exceptionally cheap and a very wide variety of items :D definitely going to order from them!

When you make peach wine, the first thing to consider is to choose a peach that has the highest flavor. This is a more delicate-tasting wine, so finding fruit with big flavor is important. It should also be dead-ripe. When we make peach wine, we talk with the orchards nearby and ask them for their trash fruits. This over-ripe and bruised fruit makes the best peach wine. Just cut out all the bad spots.

We never use water. Just pit, leave the skins on, and bag the fruit. Over-ripe fruit has so much juice, that there's no need for concentrates. Be sure you're using a good nutrient regime. Our peach has really big flavor and is one of our favorite fruit wines.

Our favorite culture on peach is Montrachet.

Thanks friends. Unfortunately really good peaches are hard to find in my area. They aren't grown here. But a friend on here showed me a site with peach juice so I figured I'll try that. For now I'll stick with grape, cherry, and blueberry. Any fruit yall would recommend that's good but out of the norm?

Black Currant was the fruit that surprised me the most, made a great port style wine with a 96 oz can of Vintner's Harvest Fruit Bases. Recipe on my BLOG

Cranberry is really good too, but requires some special handling. Cranberries are easy to find on sale this time of year.

I have considered cranberry but I know the acidity would make it difficult. I'll try the black currant. Does sound awesome. I pulled my first batch of grape cherry lastnight and it's amazing, even without aging. Had a little more alcohol than I intended but no complaints. Had a strong pinot noir flavor and bouquet and the cherry was very noticeable. Definitely going to stick with it. Used 2 cans of Welch's 100% grape concentrate, 1 jar of sweet cocktail cherries(soaked in a cup of vodka overnight), 1 pack of Fleishmanns yeast, yes I like bread yeast for its aggression, makes the wine very dry and ferments quick even below 60°F. I let the aging give the flavor. In a 3/4 gallon glass jug.

There are very good, active wine cultures too but they add nice flavor profiles which you'd probably enjoy using more than a bread culture.

After waiting for 2 years for my first peach wine to develop into something remotely drinkable, I dumped it. Absolutely undrinkable. I did dump it into a 5 gallon bucket and just lazily left the bucket on the porch. Zero degree weather for a couple of days. Went to dump the bucket, but decided to save a bit of the unfrozen material.

I do know that freeze distillation is illegal and that was not my intention. However, the accidental distillate was delicious. Zero harshness and the peach flavor was outstanding and strongly apparent for the first time. I almost wish I hadn't dumped the rest if the material. Now, I in no way recommend any type of illegal activity, but I am hoping to learn what part of the undrinkable wine that froze with the water that made my original wine undrinkable so my next wine will not be so terribly BAD. The finished pH was at 3.7. Tannin added to the original must at 1/4 tsp per gallon. Montrachet yeast. No apparent infection or bad odor. Any ideas on the material in the frozen matter that would cause the harshness?

Latest posts

Back