WineXpert Extra Sulfite For Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
I have a question about adding extra sulfite to age the wine. Why can't you do this step when you are stirring/stabilizing? I bottle straight from the carboy, so having to rack into another container is just an extra step- not sure why it can't be done when I am already stirring up sediment. Anyone try it this way or know why it is recommended to re-rack the wine and stir it in at the end?

My wine "cellar" is full finally and I think that production has finally surpassed consumption in my home (lots of family members nearby like my new hobby!!). Now it is time to branch into better wines to age them!!
smiley10.gif

Thanks,

Lenore

You certainly can add it when stirring and stabilizing which is what I do with all my kits.

Thank you so much, why wouldn't they put that on the instructions- so much simpler to add it then rather than re-racking and stirring it at the end!!!

I always rack to another carboy right before bottling so I can bottle all my clear wine and not worry about any lees. I have gotten into this routine in adding the extra k-meta as you suggested so it is done and don't have to try and remember or check notes to see if I added it or not.

We rack our wine many times...till they are a clear as possible....Once there is no sediment .....then we bottle...
All of our wines have been fruit/country wines....so no instructions come with those... :>)

Latest posts

Back