expired pinot noir kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehead

Reaction score
Good morning to all, My question is regarding the quality of the kit that i inherited today. friend says its been sitting for 4 or 5 years in basement. the code on box is 69483 6338 0217 with an expired pack of EC-1118 yeast at 8/2009. will a new yeast pack bring this pinot to life or should i toss it, the concentrate appears to have a very slight brownish tint to it but it smells ok and tastes sweet thanx for any info, p.s. i found out the date of the kit is Dec 4th 2006

Last edited:
The chances are, it's not any good, but, what the heck, you're only out a package of yeast---give it a try!! Good Luck!

Wow! That is really out of date. I can't imagine it would still be any good, but from your description it sounds like it could be.

I am assuming it does not have any off taste or smell; if it does, toss it.

Otherwise, you have nothing to loose by trying. The brown color is confirming it is getting old, but if the must smells good and it still tastes that sweet and clean, why not!

Just remember that even a fresh kit wine will taste pretty tart right after secondary, so keep that in mind when you taste test it.

All it will cost you to find out is a new packet of yeast, a little water, and some of your time.

Having said all that, I am really surprised it is not really nasty by now.

Oh, I would replace all the stabilizers and clarifiers with fresh ones.

I doubt its any good but hey.. Taste it to see if it oxidized and if its good pitch some fresh yeast. Good Luck!

If it's been fairly cool in a basement... I would definitely make it. If it's not perfect alone... you can blend something with it. It might be amazing!!

Debbie

I am in the same situation as cheesehead, except my kit was exposed to some heat once in a while... I decided to try this expired Merlot kit.
I also noticed a brownish color, it smelled ok and tasted sweet.

I bought new yeast (the yeast included did not start) and new clarifiers. Everything seemed ok, I degassed it last week. It is now clarified and should be ready to bottle soon. The taste is very acid (tart), the color is a bit pale (but still red) and it lacks flavor.
I am not sure if I will bottle it or not. In any case, it just cost me a yeast pack to try...

I would say it's worth to try, if you have all the required equipment.

In my case, I will rack it one last time and see if the taste improves over the next few weeks...

I am in the same situation as cheesehead, except my kit was exposed to some heat once in a while... I decided to try this expired Merlot kit.

I bought new yeast (the yeast included did not start) and new clarifiers. Everything seemed ok, I degassed it last week. It is now clarified and should be ready to bottle soon. The taste is very acid (tart), the color is a bit pale (but still red) and it lacks flavor.
I am not sure if I will bottle it or not. In any case, it just cost me a yeast pack to try...

In my case, I will rack it one last time and see if the taste improves over the next few weeks...

Don't know what your experience level is, but in case you haven't made a kit before, especially a red kit, the wine, when it first is cleared, can be compared to eating a normally ripe red apple while it is still green.

If given time, your Merlot just may be fine. Try it again in six months and see if the tartness is lessening. I have wine that is 16 months old but still tart.
Oh, welcome to the forum!!!

thanx for the for the replys guys, i bought all new yeast and chem packs to be sure and will give it a try and report back the results, cheers!!!

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. It's been a few months now and I tasted my expired Merlot...

It's not very good, it is hard to describe the taste but the color is still red-brownish and has no fruit taste at all.

I wonder if cheesehead had better luck than me??

BTW, I did a new Barolo kit at about the same time and it turn out great.

I would keep at least a few bottles, age them and see what happens over time.

Debbie

well , here are the results, the 1st outdated pinot was reddish brown , however it tasted just fine to me, the wife and her friends loved it so much that i aquired a second 2006 kit from the same source and made that one too. the 2nd kit was redder and tasted fruitier and again was liked by all who tried it. guess i got lucky with these 2 kits. i have since made a cran-apple chardonnay and 2 green apple reiselings that i boosted the a.b.v to 8.5 and 12 respectively and all is well. i am currently up to 116 bottles in my arsenal and now i am going to take a break for a few months and enjoy the fruits of my labor, so happy new years to all and i will check back sometime in 2012, thanx for all the advice

Back