Pinot kit, 4 days in primary and gravity less than 1.0...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winotut

Reaction score
So, I've brewed beer for awhile now and do know my way around a hydrometer, I do have two from NovaTech so I trust them.

I'll have two questions at the end of this if ya wanna skip the yadda yadda.

My first kit, a WE Vitners Reserve, Pinot Noir. I added some black cherry juice and oak chips (1.5 oz of hungarian, medium toast) to the primary. ...I digress.

Stirred primary daily for 4 days and on the 4th day, late evening, measured gravity at less than 1.0! ...It was .097 to be exact. Oh, I should mention I re-hydrated and used the entire pack of the kit's supplied yeast (Montrachet by Red Star). I also added about a quarter pack of Red Star's Premier Cuvee' sprinkled onto the must.

Yeast slurry at 78 F and must at 72 F at innoculation, room temp held entire time at 72 F.

FWIW, using a bucket with loose lid for primary, paper towel over the air lock hole in lid

In case it was fermented completely dry, I boiled three teaspoons sugar in 1/4 C. water and added to carboy (secondary) after racking the morning of the 5th day. (to ensure some CO2 blanketing occurs under air lock) Today, the 6th day, after racking and adding small amt of sugar on 5th day, there is a small amount of activity in the air lock and carboy.

The two questions:
1) Anyone here have the primary get to a very low reading, less than one, in 4 days (or so) and STIRRED it with such a low gravity in an open fermenter and if so, how did it turn out?

2) (just to add emphasis to #1) Would you be concerned with stirring the wine on the 4th day when the gravity was (unknowingly) already under 1.0, regarding oxidation? It stayed open until racked to secondary late day 5. Of note, the wine was not yet sealed under an airlock as such a low reading was not anticipated this quickly, spent entire time open to atmosphere. Stirred. Gravity under 1.0.

BTW, I've enjoyed "HomeBrewTalk" and look forward to learning a lot about wine now from the wino's here!:dg

Last edited:
First, welcome to wine making.

a) your hydrometer reading is .997 not .097.

b) not sure that I've had a wine hit .997 in 4 days because I rarely check sg before 7 days, and I have definitely had .992 after 7 days. No problems with those wines.

c) worrying about oxidation when the wine is full of CO2 is probably not worthwhile. Of course, the stirring will have driven off some of the CO2 and some of the SO2 from the wine. I don't stir wine after pitching the yeast unless there is something floating that needs turning under. And even then I don't stir hard.

d) air lock activity in the carboy is probably just CO2 coming out of solution, although there is a little more fermentation to be completed from .997.

e) I don't recall making this specific kit, but I have made other VR kits. They tend to finish about .992.

Steve

Thanx cpfan.

Glad to hear your low gravity's in the primary have been no problem!

Hmmm, I have read conflicting opinions about stirring the must for a few days to help provide O2 for the yeast. You are in the 'no stir' camp I'd say. I'll keep reading.

Yes, the airlock activity would be CO2. So yes, there very well could be bit more sugar to ferment when at .997, and the sugar I added likely contributed... I was hoping it wasn't leaking its "wonder-essence"!

.992, good to know. Moonshine!

Thank you again.

Last edited:
I have had several fast fermentations, I don't think there is any problem in getting to 1.000 or below in 4 days if the temp didn't get too high.

Hmmm, I have read conflicting opinions about stirring the must for a few days to help provide O2 for the yeast. You are in the 'no stir' camp I'd say. I'll keep reading.
Yeah the stirring thing is a "matter of opinion". I'm a kit guy, have never made wine from fruit.

With kits, you need to stir vigourously prior to pitching the yeast to mix the water & concentrate/juice, and to mix the bentonite. I am under the impression that this stirring will also incorporate air(oxygen) into the wine, and further stirring is not required. However, as I mentioned previously, if something is floating, it needs to be turned under regularly.

Just my way of doing it.

Steve

I agree, 4 days is not out of the question. Do you know what you starting Brix happened to have been?

John,

1.093, don't have a brix conversion in front of me and getting ready for work is staring at me... A little high for a kit, but the 20 oz of black cherry juice (no preserv's, no added sugar or artificial anything) bumped it.

Now I'm wondering if there's any concern for acidity regarding adding the juice. :d

I have had several fast fermentations, I don't think there is any problem in getting to 1.000 or below in 4 days if the temp didn't get too high.

Ok, and thank you. ...I'd say the drop in the gravity over 4 days might be secondary to my main concern, however, and that would be the open fermenter while gravity so low AND stirring it while such!

I did edit the OP to help drive my main concern here, being that it was stirred (twice) AND remained open to atmosphere with gravity under 1.0, if it helps anyone.

---> My opinion so far: Either the batch will likely ("likely", as there are always excetions) be oxidized and undrinkable shortly OR we can toss any discussions about oxidation overboard as it doesn't exist as a problem in home wine making!!

Last edited:
---> My opinion so far: Either the batch will likely ("likely", as there are always excetions) be oxidized and undrinkable shortly OR we can toss any discussions about oxidation overboard as it doesn't exist as a problem in home wine making!!
I'm going to go with...neither of those two choices are true.

Yes, you need to worry about oxidation. But I didn't think it's a big concern over a couple of days when the wine contains a lot of CO2 and some SO2 from fermentation.

Steve

using a hydrometer

Hello everyone, i am new to this site and new to winemaking. I am brewing a 7 day white wine making kit which started last night. I took an initial hydrometer reading and sealed the bucket with an airlock as per instructions, but how do i take a daily hydrometer reading? Do i have to keep opening up the lid and extracting some of the liquid or do i syphon off some through the airlock hole? Any help would be great ,i am a total novice.

You don't have to seal the bucket with an airlock while it is fermenting. I usually just lay a clean cloth over the top, but yes you will have to open it to take an SG reading.

Hello everyone, i am new to this site and new to winemaking. I am brewing a 7 day white wine making kit which started last night. I took an initial hydrometer reading and sealed the bucket with an airlock as per instructions, but how do i take a daily hydrometer reading? Do i have to keep opening up the lid and extracting some of the liquid or do i syphon off some through the airlock hole? Any help would be great ,i am a total novice.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

:ot:

I've been there dude, lots of questions. Searching is a very good thing and there is a wealth of info here. Good luck on your wine making career!

...Now, back to the topic of the thread?

Latest posts

Back