Experimental Apple

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
I have 1-gal batch of apple wine that I intend to fortify as an experiment. Like I'm sure most members here, I've made "rocket fuel" a few times in the past (that is not my intention here), but I've never deliberately fortified a batch.

The original SG was 1.086; current SG = 0.994. Good apple flavor, but rather tart. The wine has not been stabilized nor backsweetened yet. I fined with bentonite a couple of weeks ago and the wine has cleared nicely.

My intention at this moment is to rack the wine off the bentonite sludge, add sorbate and a C-tab, then after a few days backsweeten to good taste. Then, I will begin fortifying the batch in small increments, tasting each step and adding more sugar as needed.

My question is what spirits would be best to use for the fortifying agent? I bought a bottle of Everclear for this project, but would something else perhaps add complimentary flavor?

Brandy, good Brandy.

Done! I fortified the apple with brandy to about 16% ABV, sweetened to my taste -- turned out pretty good! I bottled it into ten 375-ml this afternoon, had about a glass leftover for an extended tasting.

Done! I fortified the apple with brandy to about 16% ABV, sweetened to my taste -- turned out pretty good! I bottled it into ten 375-ml this afternoon, had about a glass leftover for an extended tasting.

had about a glass leftover for an extended tasting

How much did U drink?? :i

had about a glass leftover for an extended tasting

How much did U drink?? :i

Since I did the tasting, "about a glass"(!) It really is better than I'd honestly expected it to be, distinct apple flavor, nice body, not too sweet, no alcohol burn. I think this will be even better with some aging, so I plan to just pull out a bottle once in a while.

Of course, I also plan to try to repeat this one.

Back