Ever heard of "pigeage"?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
Reading some about winemaking history, came across an interesting passage about French winemaking in the 300-400 AD period:

"After picking, grapes were crushed with bare feet. The must, or grape juice, was then poured into giant vats, followed by a process called 'pigeage', in which naked workers plunged themselves into the frothy liquid. Holding tightly to chains that had been fastened to overhead beams, the workers would then raise and lower themselves over and over again, stirring the must with their entire bodies so as to aerate the mixture and enhance the fermentation. It was a dangerous exercise. Hardly a harvest went by without some workers losing their grip and drowning, or being asphyxiated by the carbonic gas given off by the fermenting juice. Victims were almost always men, since women, in some parts of France, were barred from the 'chai', or winery, during harvestime. Their presence, according to superstition, would turn the wine sour."

Source: Wine & War, by Don and Petie Kladstrup, pg 18.

Last edited:
I bet if we left it to the women it would turn out sweet.

all that navel fuzz enhanced the flavor.

Imagine the guy who came up with that idea.

"I got an idea....." ha ha ha ha

I thought that what was going on in the chat room last night

yuck

(disregard everything in these parenthesis, I needed it to meet the character minimum)

What's amazing is that the wine somehow still turned out OK after all of that! Kinda funny after yesterday's worrysome thread about not sanitizing scissors before using them to cut open the yeast packet!

part of me wants to make a comment about women not being allowed and yeast infections... but i'm not feeling witty today. anyways... kinda cool except it kinda kills all the modern ideas of sanitizing.

Something tells me that the "piggers" came out more sanitized while the wine became not so much. Maybe this is where the term "hogwash" came from?

Latest posts

Back