Ever dreaded white haze on the surface

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Reaction score
My Chilean Malbec has developed that ever dreaded whit film on the surface accompanied with a slight musty smell. I've had this before and normally a 1/4tsp of k-metta and a racking did the trick. This time, however, after doing this twice already it has returned after 3 weeks. The bung is snug, the air lock is good. I'm enclined to try the process once more as the wine still has a good flavor. I'd bottle it but it hasn't. Been oaked yet. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Has it fermented dry? What is the estamated abv? Leftover suger and low abv would "help" the bad film stay alive.
Things to try that have worked for me. Add asorbic acid. Top off with everclear or vodca. Use a double dose of sulfa and mix very well. ( pour into new jug, not carfully rack) this last one goes against all logic, but worked. I have even done all three things on one wine. The wine came out just fine, it needed a little extra aging, but is very drinkable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

check your ph it might be to high, that is wine is low in acid. the previous poster adding absorbic acid, equal to citric probably lowered the ph to acceptable levels. I would consume quickly after bottling. racking and double dose of K-meta is also recommended. the haze is flowers of wine.

Any Guidelines as to how much acid to add? I have more chemicals ordered (reagents and such) to get readings.

mix 10 grams of tartaric acid with 100ml of water. take a sample of wine equal to 100ml. add 1ml of solution measure ph, continue until value of ph is around 3.3-3.4. each ml of solution added is equal to one gram per liter of tartaric acid in finished wine.

Back