equipment needed to make wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakefinley

Junior
Reaction score
as of now i have a plastic bucket for fermenting, a press and a couple 5 gal carboys and a bunch of 1 gal glass jars. what other supplies will i need to make wine

airlocks. autosiphon. prob a paintstrainer bag or two if you press fruit.

Pam in cinti

Just dive into it !! and eventually you will buy the equipment as you need it - We tend to over complicate things at first - first try it with some juice buckets or some free supplies of fruit from neighbors and try fermenting first and you will learn as the road is paved for you - considering you have this forum to ask directions for :b

Don't forget the yeast. ;)

Since you mentioned the press, I'm assuming you're making wine from whole grapes or other fresh fruit. If grapes, how are they going to be destemmed and crushed?

As was already mentioned, you'll need airlocks (and bungs) for all of your containers. A hydrometer is a must. If you're going with fresh fruit, a pH meter and a TA test kit are almost as critical.

Yes they are grapes from my vine also I will destem them and crush by hand. I'm going to the store today to get a fermating bucket hydrometer capdemn tablets and yeast. Do I need the pH and ta tester I'm only gonna have enough to make a gallon or more. Also should I rinse grapes before I. Ferment

Yes they are grapes from my vine also I will destem them and crush by hand. I'm going to the store today to get a fermating bucket hydrometer capdemn tablets and yeast. Do I need the pH and ta tester I'm only gonna have enough to make a gallon or more. Also should I rinse grapes before I. Ferment

NEED? No, like vacuumpumpman said, there is a lot of room to maneuver in winemaking, and five minutes--heck, a day or two--isn't going to ruin anything, so get what you know you need and start, pick up other stuff as you need it...

Unless your supply store takes forever to get to, then stock up (you can ask them for advice, just avoid package deals, they're usually lower quality).

Also, since everyone in this thread is super nice and hasn't said it, I will: there is a plethora of information on this site already; if you'd like to know specifically everything you need, read some of the guides, stickies, and other beginner threads on the subject. It's not a huge deal, most of us don't mind answering questions that have already been asked much, but you'll likely find your answer without having to wait...

thank you for your response. so i picked up most of my supplies i need at the moment. i just crushe all my grapes and put into the fermenting bucket. im going to take a reading now also ive been reading but i am getting mixed answers. for the campden pills when i crush them and mix them in do i leave the cover on tightly or loosely for the first 24 hours before i add the yeast?

I don't think it matters, the campden will prevent any infection. But if you're worried about it, tight is fine, just not after you pitch the yeast.

ok so i took a reading here is a picture

what do you think of that also i am using a 2gal bucket and it is near full

You need more sugar. Add simple syrup (or your sugar of choice) to get that SG up, it's only going to ferment to dry at about 9% the way it is right now. Your starting target SG should be 1.08 or higher (I usually go for 1.100-1.115 depending on what I'm making, but I like a boozey wine).

Latest posts

Back