equipment for first time using fresh grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
Morning Everyone, this fall will be my first time trying to make wine from fresh grapes. At this point I do not expect the folks I am getting these from to do any testing for me...so what is the bare minimum equipment that I ought to have on hand to do my own testing? Thanks, paulc

You should get something to check the pH - a small handheld will be best for you. You can get a TA test kit (acid test kit) which uses a color indicator and sodium hydroxide. To get a more accurate reading use the pH meter to get to 8.2 to indicate the color change point. A refractometer is nice, but use can get a large enough juice sample and use the hydrometer. Those few things will give you a starting point, and then it is the sky is the limit as to extras you can buy.

A 20 gallon BRUTE trashcan with lid for each 100lbs of grapes for your Primary. These are food grade. Morewine sells a really nice punch down tool for cheap. I use it on kits with grape packs as well.

Well good, I have the hydrometer already and the acid test kit...but I don't see colors well so I will have to trust my wife's eyes for that. I was expecting I needed a pH meter, and of course the larger the primaries. Thanks for confirming my hunch. Now to start collecting that stuff, and of course several more carboys. thanks

Is there a quick and easy explanation for how to do it that you can share? Or is there a link here somewhere? thanks,

Like I said in my post above, use the pH meter to monitor when the addition of sodium hydroxide reaches 8.2 on the meter. That is the change point of the indicator and means the test is done. Follow the instructions for the kit you use, but instead of looking for a color change (which can be hard to see in a red), 8.2 means that is the point of saturation and you make the calculation based on the amount of sodium hydroxide used to reach that point. It really is easier than it sounds.

Latest posts

Back