Ep super tuscan stuck at 1.000??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Started a rj spag EP super Tuscan on 10/14 SG of 1.080. Went to secondary on 10/19 at an SG of 1.020 ( I know a bit late)
My SG for the last week has been 1.000 There is no visible signs of fermentation , no bubbles, but my multi price air lock is slight tipped indicating some gas is escaping.

I know the directions say .0996 or lower, or 28 days ( which I am not even close to), however rarely have I got a kit to get below 1.000.

I know when I have checked my hydrometer in water get a SG reading of 1.000

My dilemma is that I have the kit sitting in a carboy, in secondary with a lot of head space. Probably 1/2 gallon worth of space.

Do I let it sit for a while longer?
Or rack it, sorbate , top off, etc....

Last edited:
give it few more days. Did you rack it to glass? Your supposed to have head space with kits in the first racking. Its still blowing off CO2 so your good. What you have to decide is what r you going to do on the second racking.
Some downsize to a 5 gal carboy others top off. With a super Tuscan I'd go down to a 5 gallon carboy or stuff it so full of french oak spirals your levels raise and your good lol

Once you degas and stabilize, that's when you gotta worry about head space and its inevitable. Some wines I dont mind topping off but a super Tuscan I would not. Just me

give it few more days. Did you rack it to glass? Your supposed to have head space with kits in the first racking. Its still blowing off CO2 so your good. What you have to decide is what r you going to do on the second racking.
Some downsize to a 5 gal carboy others top off. With a super Tuscan I'd go down to a 5 gallon carboy or stuff it so full of french oak spirals your levels raise and your good lol
Great advice on the French Oak Tess!

At 1.000 you should rack and top off, or at least top off. You don't need the sorbate unless you plan to back sweeten. .004 difference? Could be temperature difference from your hydros calibration.

This is why I quit racking off the yeast cake in primary until I was below 1.000!

You need to resuspend the yeast. If you taste the wine, and it tastes even slightly sweet, you need to get that yeast working again! I have 2 cases of very expensive kit wine stuck at 1.001 and now I'm adding it to each batch before I pitch yeast in primary. It'll take 1-2 years to reclaim all the bottles.

wow Geronimo it does not have to be that complicated!! Rack it!! gets it going every time!! Add yeast nutrient! It took you two years to stabilize your wine? Id give up!!

Last edited:
What are "directions"?

Are those the words on paper that I usually throw out after opening the kit?

:(

Last edited:
Started a rj spag EP super Tuscan on 10/14 SG of 1.080. Went to secondary on 10/19 at an SG of 1.020 ( I know a bit late)
My SG for the last week has been 1.000 There is no visible signs of fermentation , no bubbles, but my multi price air lock is slight tipped indicating some gas is escaping.

I know the directions say .0996 or lower, or 28 days ( which I am not even close to), however rarely have I got a kit to get below 1.000.

I know when I have checked my hydrometer in water get a SG reading of 1.000

My dilemma is that I have the kit sitting in a carboy, in secondary with a lot of head space. Probably 1/2 gallon worth of space.

Do I let it sit for a while longer?
Or rack it, sorbate , top off, etc....
Hey,Elmer I`m in the same boat, started new years day at 1.104 and on the fourth I put in in glass at 1.024, 2 hours ago it is at .998,with no activity....I get a little nervous with that head space with no activity... don`t want to top off, I was hoping you got some heavy hitters with some of there answers or experience`s....still have some time!...tick-tick-tick....lol ...it was racked into a 6 gallon carboy...

How did it turn out Elmer?

Last edited:
Hey,Elmer I`m in the same boat, started new years day at 1.104 and on the fourth I put in in glass at 1.024, 2 hours ago it is at .998,with no activity....I get a little nervous with that head space with no activity... don`t want to top off, I was hoping you got some heavy hitters with some of there answers or experience`s....still have some time!...tick-tick-tick....lol ...it was racked into a 6 gallon carboy...

Top it off and let it sit. The small bit of "other" wine won't affect the final product at all.

How did it turn out Elmer?

I am currently aging.
I cold cleared it in sub zero weather for about 2 weeks around turkey day.
Since then it has been in bulk aging in my cellar at 62 degrees.
It is clearing and still has some sediment dropped at the bottom of carboy.

Tried a about 1/2 a cup the other night and it was darn good!
My wife was even impressed.
I was going to bulk age for another month or two, if not longer.

I am considering putting in my American White Oak Barrel for 2 weeks (knowing that it would be the first batch and get super oaky)
but I have not made that decision yet.

I do know that I will need to make another one of these!

How low did the SG ever get and how.

My notes are at home.
But off the top of my head It was down to .996. I had let it sit for a week. Wrapped in blankets.

My basement is usually 62 degrees and that usually throws the hydrometer off by a bit.

I gave it a week and it got down there.

"Patience young skywalker, patience... "

Thanks Doc, now what wine should I use...merlot, cab sauv?... Elmer what did you use? Thanks

Thanks Doc, now what wine should I use...merlot, cab sauv?... Elmer what did you use? Thanks

I went to the wine store and bought 3 bottles of $10 Super Tuscan.
I specifically bought the bottle which said "super tuscan"

I used 1 bottle to top up with, kept one for future use, drank the other!

I have been told you can get by using a sangiovese

Great , question.... Did you top off as your fermentation was ending?.. I didn't know you could do that, with the sulfites in the commercial wine,,so you topped off and waited to get to .996 or so, interesting.... Thanks

Great , question.... Did you top off as your fermentation was ending?.. I didn't know you could do that, with the sulfites in the commercial wine,,so you topped off and waited to get to .996 or so, interesting.... Thanks

I DO NOT top off until I have hit the desired SG.
I add k-meta/sorbate, clarify and rack.
The I top off when I am prepared to bulk age!

Back