Emptying your 23 bag of must.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcnoren

Reaction score
I don't why it never occurred to me before to syphon my must from the bag into my primary.

I used to struggle with trying to pour my must from my 23 liter bag into my primary. Sometimes I wouldn't get the angle correct and I would spill a little of the must onto the floor instead of hitting my primary bucket. Not to mention fighting with trying to hold onto the full bag of must.

Now I syphon about 1/2 of my must into my primary, lift my primary pail to a higher shelf then pour the remainder of my must from the bag into the pail.

This is soooooooooooo much easier .

JCEdited by: jcnoren

Yep, I do the same as Smurfe! The boxes were designed to hold the bags in place for easy pouring. Both WE and RJS have boxes like this. However, for a 23L bag in a pail, siphoning would certainly be easier until 1/2 the volume is removed.

pkcook. I have used the Smurfe's system to empty the must bags when Ihave purchased kits in boxes. However this system was of no use when I purchased either SJS Bolaro 23 bag in apail or the Paklab product 23 bag inapail.

JC

This is a good idea, ill have to try it, although i have to say that I have never really had a problem pouring the bag before.

23 leter bag of must is #^*# to hold, onto and empty when full, 16 leters is a little easier, 11.5 even better. I suppose one could syphon it out a 16, liter bag.

JC

jcnoren,

Thanks for clarifying; I didn't realize the bag was in a pail. Siphoning would be a good idea in this situation.

Save a bag or two when your done siphoning or pouring and clean them out well and sanitize them with k-meta, then if, or when you need additional carboy space for temporary storage, you have a nice little package to work with. Tha cap can be drilled out and a grommet installed to fit an airlock. Just a thought.

Salute!
smiley1.gif

Yeah, the Wine Expert kits are easy to handle. The Mosti kits are a different story and are a pain. I made quite a mess with the first one I made. I haven't used the siphon yet but many do and it is a great idea.

Latest posts

Back