empty carboys make me angry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
20 lbs Yellow Peaches
10 pounds sugar
4.5 gallons water
5 Campdens
5 tsp Acid Blend
2.5 tsp tannin powder
5 tsp nutrient
2.5 tsp pectic enzyme powder

SG 1.090

Lalvin K1-V1116

I am certain the produce man was a bit set off at my handling of his stock - LMAO. Oh well.......The thing is only about half of the peaches on his shelf seemed ripe enough (slightly squishy and fragrant). Trucked in from Washington State it's the best we get around these parts. Mashed em up good in the bag with clean hands.

th_peach061.jpg
</a>

th_peach062.jpg
</a>

th_peach063.jpg
</a>

Looking good jojo...How long before you will be drinking that peachy elixir ya think?

I was thinking 2 years this time!

I'll have to hide it good though.
smiley2.gif

It's not forever, it just feels that way some times.
smiley19.gif
Best to keep busy making other wines so it doesn't call your name too often. This is where the bulk aging is advantagous. Unless you have a carboy straw it's easier to age it that way instead of those easy to open bottles!
smiley2.gif

there is also the theory that if one makes twice as much, the possibility of bottles lasting longer will increase

Jojo,

There is also the theory, and many times the case, that if you make twice as much wine, you drink twice as much young wine and you still don't age much (the wine, not you)
smiley15.gif

Seriously, I've been able to put a few bottles away and will not touch them for at least a year. When you have drinkable wine on hand, its easier to age a few bottles. I still drink the occationaly commercial wine to keep from popping the corks on my own until I can get a little age on them.

I support that theory, only I'm making three to four times what I use. I have been able to getsome things aging pretty well now. I have made about 800 bottles since I started almost a year ago and am getting a pretty good supply going- still have about 500 even giving away a bunch and drinking some. It's nice to have about 25 kinds of wine to choose from(including 5 Island Mist varieties for those lite days). My fruit wines from last year are starting to come around.

The biggest problem I have is storage. Even though I have two racks that hold about 250 bottles total, I have about 20 case boxes stacked in the closet. If you make enough kits, you can get by on samples as you make them and an occasional test bottle. The most important thing is to have fun while you are working building your stock.

Appleman,

I'm with you,storage seems to be a factor, but the cost can add up too! I'm getting close to retirement from the AF and my wife says slow down until I'm employed again
smiley18.gif
. My little back room of the basement is getting pretty full.

It started out with one batch. I am backlogged with bottling!

20060911_182510_DSCN0018_Large.JPG

This is my fermentation station. On the extreme right is my 6 gal.
Pear. Middle left 2 are the Strawberry Kiwi. And the Left three are the blueberry melomel that is Waldo's(Santa's) recipe

Edited by: wadewade

20060911_182921_DSCN0011_Large.JPG

20060911_183118_DSCN0014_Large.JPG

These are my little worker bees Megan(8) and Sean(3) and my wife in the
background. She basically just helps me consume the products.

Edited by: wadewade

Ageing your wines is easy! You just have to have a little will power! You just tell yourself that today you aren't going to drink that 3 month old youngster. It is simply mind over matter. It is especially easy for me to give this advice because I am sitting here at my computer "TESTING" my 2006 Pinot Chardonnay bottled in April. Understand that I am just Checking my wine to see how it is progressing on it's way to a well aged mature work pf art. So everyone just keep in mind that you are only checking up on the ageing progress of your wines....not drinking them up!

By the way, the peach wine is looking awesome and makes me think that peach would be a good next wine to make. I saw some frozen peaches in the supermarket today and was thinking that they would probably make a nice wine. I prefer to use frozen fruits availeable here and if you could see what the fresh fruit looks like you would know why! Lookin great!!!

Pete

Look, yew guys don' no what yore talkin' 'bout.
You make a batch every month. thats 29 bottles.
You drink a bottle day 'cept Sundays, that's 28 bottles.
You got yerself a bottle to age for more than a month.

In 365 months you have 364 bottles that are somewhere between a month and a year old.
In 3650 months (that's a little over 300 years) you'll have some wines that are ten years old.More importantly you'll have 3649 bottles in your cellar.

Now that's what I call agin'
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

I forgot to use the Red Eye reducer. My first time using a dig.
cam. or basically any camara besides a throw-away. My first time using
any computer photo programs to. Both of which I could have gotten rid
of the red eye.
smiley18.gif

Good looking family you got there! You must be a proud pop.

Is that aFriendly's balloon I spy? One more thing I miss from home.. a nice supermelt and a happy ending sundae. We also don't have dunkin' donuts' down here.

Yes it is a Friendlys balloon and what, NO DUNKIN DONUTS, why even wake up then.
smiley3.gif

Latest posts

Back