WineXpert ElderFlowers in Piesporter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
I have elderflowers still floating around in my Piesporter after adding clarifiers. This wine has 14 days to clear. Will these sink or can I remove when filtering? Should I have placed them in a mesh bag during fermentation? Unfortunately, the directions for the must preparation did not call for that.
smiley5.gif

Is you wine on a time limit or do you have the time to wait it out? I have made wines that have had some floaties in them and they eventually drop out.
VC

Not on time limit. Initially 14 days to clear, but with mbs added can age further. I am assuming that I could age in bulk just as well as in bottles to fix this. After 14 dAys if not clear, supposed to stir again and wait, so, if they continue to float, I could add mbs, stir and wait some more.. This is one of those Wine Expert wines that is finished in like 5 wks and then they say to age at least 3 mos.! But I would age it longer anyway.
smiley2.gif

I've made 2 batches so far of WE Piesporter. The remaining elderflowers will sink to the bottom once the wine is degassed. The finings won't cause the flowers to settle. It's the CO2 that is keeping them afloat. My second batch is at the 25 day after start of fermentation point and as of yesterday almost all of the flowers and seeds have settled. I'll give it another week and add the F-Pack, stablizer and fining, let it sit another month and bottle it.

If you are pushed for time, put a fine mesh bag around your racking cane and you should be ok. I always use an extended schedule when making kits now that I have built up to about 300 bottles in the rack.

I'll have to remember to get a fine mess bag before I make this again and put the flowers in it to make it easier.

By the way, this Piesporter is very good at the 3 month mark! Be sure to wait a month after bottling.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks for the advice. THere are just a few flowers left on top now. And I just degassed yesterday. I mean I REALLY degassed! I will use a bag next time. I have a slight haze in the wine today, but it has 14 days on the WE schedule, so I am hoping this clears up just fine. But I can be patient! THe gaze or cheesecloth is a good idea if a couple should be still floating when it is time to rack. I am a little nervous about racking for bottling straight from the secondary fermentation carboy with all that sediment in the bottom. Think I should rack to fermenter then filter to carboy before bottling?

Back