elderflower

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaser

Reaction score
Been lovely and sunny here in the UK and the elderflower is starting to bloom picked some yesterday and started a batch have some left over can I freeze them till I have rest of ingredients for another batch?

Never done elderflower and I know you can freeze dandelion hoping you can do same with the elderflower as there is plenty and enough to leave for the elderberry later:)

Yeah, you can freeze just about any flower you're making wine out of, like you can dandelions.

Thanx Deezil ;-) and I have never tasted elderflower this is first batch fir me have tasted elderberry tho and liked that :)

Its a cjj berry one
500ml ELDERFLOWER
1.5 kilo SUGAR
250th raisins or concentrate (white)
3 lemons
1tsp grape tannin
4.5 lyre water
Yeast and nutrient

Nice!! I think since I won't be around elderberries this year, I needs to do an elderflower instead!

Been told its nice ,have frozen the rest and think Im going to pick and freeze a few more :) going to be a good Christmas got pineapple clearing,dandelion and the rhubarb still fermenting like mad and elderflower looks good hmmm what to try next? Any suggestions????

Never tried rhubarb, is it back sweetened or dry? I've got some in the garden now.

Last edited:
Ive yet to try it too added a campden tablet and its supposed to be like hock going to do another without and compare. Waiting till finished fermenting and wiv decide then weather to sweeten or not it says its a good wine for blending might try a rhubarb and strawberry :)

We have done 3 batches of Strawberry Rhubarb and love the stuff ...

one of the favorites I have made was a triple berry wine. you might try something like that.

recipe for one gallon..(multiply as needed)
5 lb mix bags of Black - Blue - Raz - berries
sugar to Sg 1.110
1 tsp bentonite
1 tsp nutrient
1//4 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast

I bought frozen so I thawed the berries and smooshed them through a mesh strainer into primary until I was left with mostly just seeds... added sugar and other ingredients.
made yeast starter which I don't think was necessary with this.
bottled in two months after clear and filter .... lasted about a month :)

Sound good have you got recipe for strawb and rhubarb? 1 gallon recipe are great for me :)

Just put the elderflower in demijohn today its bubbling like crazy!!!! Going to start another this weekend :)

I think elderflower is one of my favorite wines. You can buy dried flowers in 2 oz packages from Midwest Brewing and Winemaking and 3 packages (6oz) is enough to make 6 US gallons. I have never made the wine from fresh flowers so I don't know if it tastes very different but wine made from dried elderflowers is a taste of heaven...(backsweetened to 1.005).

Looking forward to trying it by the sound of it I better get picking and freezing more :)

Well picked some more and another batch underway now in need of more demijohns and bottles!!!!

Back