Elderberry plus

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj4271

Reaction score
Thebest batch of wine Imade last year included a can of Vintner's Harvest Elderberry. I added about 10 # of wild elderberry I picked, from my neighbor's land, to make a 6 gal batch. It was outstanding.

The wild elderberry I picked looked just like the picture of elderberry on the cover of a Raintree nursery catalog I had.

Turns out tha when I got my b-in-law to help me pick the "wild elderberry" last week; he told me it was Poke Salad instead!!! Oh well, it's still a great wine.

Bruce

Bruce you need to be cautious of this. Poke Salad is another name for Pokeberry which is a poisonous berry. I would advise nobody to knowingly add this to their wine. Are you certain it was pokeberry? Here is a picture of it.

All parts of pokeweed are toxic including the raw aboveground leaves sprouting in the early spring<SUP id=cite_ref-2 =reference>[3]</SUP>. The poisonous principles are found in highest concentrations in the rootstock, less in the mature leaves and stems, and least in the fruits. (Green fruits are slightly more toxic) Young leaves, if collected before acquiring a red color, are edible if boiled for 5 minutes, rinsed, and reboiled. Berries are toxic when raw but cooked juice is edible (the seeds remain toxic after cooking). However, it may be difficult to identify exactly when leaves have no red color whatsoever; an incorrect picking may result in a poisoning.

Young pokeweed leaves can be boiled three times to reduce the toxin, discarding the water after each boiling. The result is known as poke salit, or poke salad, and is occasionally available commercially.<SUP id=cite_ref-3 =reference>[4]</SUP> Many authorities advise against eating pokeweed even after thrice boiling, as traces of the toxin may still remain. It should never be eaten uncooked. For many decades, poke salad has been a staple of southern U.S. cuisine, despite campaigns by doctors who believed pokeweed remained toxic even after being boiled. The lingering cultural significance of Poke salad can be found in the 1969 hit song "Polk Salad Annie," written and performed by Tony Joe White, and famously covered by Elvis Presley, as well as other bands including the El Orbits of Houston, Texas. Pokeberry juice is added to other juices for jelly by those who believe it can relieve the pain of arthritis. There are currently four known poke sallet festivals held annually. They are in Gainesboro, Tennessee; Blanchard, Louisiana; Harlan, Kentucky; and, Arab, Alabama.<BR clear=left>

Since pioneer times, pokeweed has been used as a folk remedy to treat many ailments. It can be applied topically or taken internally. Topical treatments have been used for acne and other ailments. Internal treatments include tonsillitis, swollen glands and weight loss. Grated pokeroot was used by Native Americans as a poultice to treat inflammations and rashes of the breast. Independent researchers are investigating phytolacca's use in treating AIDS and cancer patients. Especially to those who have not been properly trained in its use, pokeweed should be considered dangerous and possibly deadly.

Ingestion of poisonous parts of the plant may cause severe stomach cramping, nausea with persistent diarrhea and vomiting, sometimes bloody, slow and difficult breathing, weakness, spasms, hypertension, severe convulsions, and death. However, consuming fewer than 10 uncooked berries is generally harmless to adults. Several investigators have reported deaths in children following the ingestion of uncooked berries or pokeberry juice. Severe poisonings have been reported in adults who ingested mature pokeweed leaves and following the ingestion of tea brewed from one-half teaspoonful of powdered pokeroot.

Pokeweed berries yield a red ink or dye, which was once used by aboriginal Americans to decorate their horses. Many letters written home during the American Civil War were written in pokeberry ink; the writing in these surviving letters appears brown. The red juice has also been used to symbolize blood, as in the anti-slavery protest of Benjamin Lay. A rich brown dye can be made by soaking fabrics in fermenting berries in a hollowed-out pumpkin.

Some pokeweeds are also grown as ornamental plants, mainly for their attractive berries; a number of cultivars have been selected for larger fruit panicles.

Pokeweeds are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Giant Leopard Moth.

That's it Richard. No ill effects from drinking it. I froze it from last summer to late Fall before I made it, maybe that helped. Also it was added to a can of Elderberry.

Yikes!
smiley34.gif

Think I will stick to fermenting grape juice!

Bruce I think you would do better to try to get real elderberries than to chance it with them. You may be safe using them and drinking, but I always advise people to err on the safe side.

I have seen first hand what happens with the wrong berries. I used a weedeater to get rid of deadly nightshade one time and I got a horrible rash, the backdoor trots and ran a fever for a day. I had to get the vet to come and treat several cows that ate some before I could destroy it.

Please know what you are picking bu identifying it for certain 1st. I want every user here to log back on tomorrow!
smiley31.gif

Pokeweed is very high in oxalic acid and that's what makes it poisonous, I believe. While the berries themselves look similar to elderberries, the leaves of the plant, the way it grows and the way the berries are arranged are completely different.

I've been shown how to cook poke salit properly and had it cooked for me after I moved to Arkansas. The only thing I could say is whoever figured out how to do it must have been pretty desperate for something to eat! Tasted kind of like collard greens but with more zing. Still very acidic tasting though even after cooked. Once was enough for me.

Tony

Guys go to Eat the Weeds.com and check out Pokeweed. It looks simular to what you are discussing. This stuff can kill you if not prepared properly.
smiley11.gif

I was just going to post a pic of this plant - it was growing next to the elderberries I was picking, and I wondered what it was/if I could pick it....

Glad I didn't.

They sure are pretty though! The flowers as well as the berries!

Mom used to cook it when I was a kid. Mixed it with turnip greens but only after boiling it for a long long time and draining the juice a couple of times during the boil process

I wasted a few hours last year picking what I thought were elderberries. But I also took pictures of the bushes/berries and consulted with a botanist when I got back: they weredogwood berries. Not poisonous, but not something to make wine from either. I was a little embarrassed and disappointed but - hey, I'm a city kid so I've got a lot to learn.
FYI - if you are ever unsure you can contact a local college's agricultural department or there is an online resource here: http://riley.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=8&amp;tax_level=1&amp;tax_subject=7&amp;want_id=135&amp;topic_id=0&amp;placement_default=0

First rule, look at the leaves first. I wonder if our original poster is still with us or did the pokeberry wine get him? Crackedcork

Well I filled a 7.9 gallon bucket today with Elder screens and then processed 1 gallon freezer bag after picking and after a long day of work in 97* temps and Im exhausted!

Latest posts

Back