Elderberry: Known good recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlTropical

Reaction score
I am in possesion of sufficient elderberry to make it next. I found dozens of Elderberry recipies and I am now at a loss as to which will turn out best. Can anyone vouch for one they have done and came out well? Many thanks.

Also any tips in dealing with them appreciated, one source says to put a plastic bag inside the primary but this seems unneeded to me when I can simply clean it after to remove any stains?

I am in possesion of sufficient elderberry to make it next. I found dozens of Elderberry recipies and I am now at a loss as to which will turn out best. Can anyone vouch for one they have done and came out well? Many thanks.

Also any tips in dealing with them appreciated, one source says to put a plastic bag inside the primary but this seems unneeded to me when I can simply clean it after to remove any stains?

I've made several batched of elderberry. The reason for the plastic bag in the primary is avoid as much clean up from the dreaded green goo. I'll see if I can locate the recipe that I used or you can go to this site for some good recipes. I've done similar to them and elderberry takes oak very well.

http://www.oatmealjack.com/Elderberries/Elderberries.html

This was one recipe I used for a 3 gallon batch.

11 lbs of previously frozen fresh elderberries steamed to produce 1.5+ gallons of juice.
1 can each of Welches Red and White grape juice concentrate.
40 grams acid blend to get must to .65%
2 tsp pectic enzyme (will add 12 hours after campden tablets)
3 campden tablets
1/2 tsp tannin
75 oz of sugar to bring sg to 1.085
water to 3 gallons.

Everything is mixed and in the primary waiting on the pectic enzyme this evening and yeast will be 1116 added tomorrow with nutrient.

Thanks Doug. I have litmus paper to test ph, what do I need to be able to measure the acidity in% ?

Is freezing them a prerequisite to kill any bacteria?

Freezing them will help bring out the juice better.

The best thing if yo uhave the budget is to get a ph meter. This will digitally tell you the ph levels and you can also use it for testing ta.

Most of us on here have the Hanna PH meter.
Amazon link
If the link doesn't work just search for Hanna ph meter. Hanna Instruments HI 98128W pH and Temperature Tester with Solutions for Wine is the one most of use have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started this tonight:

22 lbs of previously frozen fresh elderberries steamed to produce 3+ gallons of juice.
2 cans each of Welches Red and White grape juice concentrate.
80 grams acid blend to get must to .65%
6 campden tablets
1 tsp tannin
180 oz of sugar to bring sg to 1.095
water to 6 gallons

It took more sugar than the original recipe to get up to the 1.095 I wanted. I also added super ferment to it. I need to wait 12 hours before adding pectin remover and yeast?

It smells awesome already, I consider myself blessed that the city cleared out the swales down the 2 miles of road I live on (rural, shell road no run off). After they cleaned them elderberries took up residence fast. I have what seems like an endless supply. I hope this turns out good :)

I have Cote Des Blanc and Champagne yeast (red star) handy. Can I use one of these?

Back