WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I label and capsule my wine, just because I like it. The labels that I use are easy to remove.:try

I don't knock anyone that goes the distance to make an absolutely finished product... I just can't do it. I despise removing labels:)

I did capsules last night and cleaned up the bottles a little (had some overflow during bottling). Then back on the rack till we label. Don't want to wish away 2 months, but I can't wait to see this one evolve over time.

What label paper do you use? I believe you mentioned they're easy to remove. If that's the case I may do some labeling. I have a few great designs I've never used...

I get the labels from online labels.com (OL475TC) for about $40 for 100 sheets (10 cents a label) and push them through a color laser printer.

Soak in hot water for about a half hour and they peel right off with no residue.

Last edited:
Well, tonight was bottling night. The wine was really, really nice, but a little strange.

I had added some sacrificial tannins in primary, and 2.5 g Tannin Riche during bulk aging. This was in addition to the 90 gram oak they provided.

Upon bottling, it is a bit arresting. The initial tastes were cocoa, oak, vanilla..... It is neither old-world style or new world -- not at all fruity, yet no minerality, either. Very drinkable considering it is only a few months old!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I'm working midnights this week. I'll probably bottle this weekend. Either that or I'll rack n wait another 3 months...

Don't know if they are available where you live but I use removable labels from 'Herma':

9200000020909069.jpg

Removed in a second.

0a517d69dab7a4ebd58b23f8a2311e67.jpg

OK... After 6 1/2 months I've bottle this Merlot... Having a glass or two of the overage. Tasting real nice... Year from now should be excellent:)

Just bought this kit have a little while to wait before I get it started ... But I'm very excited to make this kit ... Even more to taste it ... Now all I need is the time machine...

I peaked at it this morning and the yeast is already building up a nice head of steam. Going to stir it and mash the sock o' grape skins when I get home tonight.

My primary temp was 72* F; and the OG after stirring in the oak and skins was 1.097. Fermenting down to 0.992 means an ABV slightly north of 14%. I'm happy with that.View attachment 22019

is that a cooling pad under your bucket?

is that a cooling pad under your bucket?

He lives about 20 or so miles from me and our wine rooms seem to stay about the same temperature, so I think if you go a few posts past that one you will see that his ambient temps were in the low 60's, so that's a heating pad, as his temp during ferment was in the low 70's.

Back