WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One tip... Look into the all in one wine pump from good ol Steve.... He has a great product and great customer support

Thanks for your input, guys! It's really helpful! I'm also happy to hear from anyone else who wants to weigh in -- can't have too much help!

One thing to know with this particular kit - it throws off a lot of sediment (lees) when you rack from primary to secondary to aging. You could easily find yourself with about 5.25 gallons left after starting with 6 gallons. So, you'll need to decide whether you downshift to a 5 gallon carboy or add wine to top up to 6 gallons.

I chose the latter and poured in some good Napa Merlot that I found on sale here in the People's Republic of Pennsylvania.

One thing to know with this particular kit - it throws off a lot of sediment (lees) when you rack from primary to secondary to aging. You could easily find yourself with about 5.25 gallons left after starting with 6 gallons. So, you'll need to decide whether you downshift to a 5 gallon carboy or add wine to top up to 6 gallons.

I chose the latter and poured in some good Napa Merlot that I found on sale here in the People's Republic of Pennsylvania.

I've noticed that with all the high end WE grape skin kits. I top up, so I can run it through the barrel.

Good to know. I think I'll top up -- don't want to lose any wine!

On another note, what do you guys think of swapping out the yeast that was included in the kit (EC1118) for this one (MT)?: http://morewinemaking.com/products/dry-wine-yeast-mt.html

Good to know. I think I'll top up -- don't want to lose any wine!

You don't "loose any wine". The issue is dilution (diluting your wine with another wine).

I personally go to the smaller carboy, and put the remainder in a glass jug. I have bottles from 350 ml (splits), 750 ml (regular size bottle), 1.5L (magnum), and 1 gallon. I should add a double magnum (3L). I then put a cork on it.

I'm with richmke. Ya get what ya get after racking. With the Stags Leap Merlot I ended up with five gallons after racking out of secondary. Topped up a 5 gallon carboy with a couple cups of glass marbles. Come October I'll rack again or possibly bottle... It's a good thing to have multiple sized carboys, gallon and half gallon jugs... I even have drilled/airlocked bungs for bottles... Just my preference not to dilute or mix if not purposed.

While I was down tending to the Super Tuscan, I figured it was time to get another sample of the Merlot. All I can say is the last 2 weeks in the Carboy at 73* has made a huge difference. Fuller body, oaky with big, dark fruit. I don't know that I want to do anything to it (except... Ummm... Drink it).

Last edited:
Sounds great jgmann... May bottle mine come mid October. Maybe... Great to hear your progress:)

I made this kit for my niece's wedding and it was phenomenal! I had about 15 months notice from her engagement. I added extra oak, and let it bulk age for about 4 or 5 months, IIRC.

It came out so good that I bought 2 of the kits, and they are both in day 5 of primary right now. My house smells awesome!

With one I'll add medium toast Hungarian oak cubes, the other I'll add a dark toast American oak spiral. Both will sit in bulk for at least 6 months...

I've used the Hungarian medium toast before, and I really like it. The place in Orlando I get most of my winemaking stuff carries these in a 1 pound bag, so it is much more affordable than smaller quantities. The only other oak I've used is whatever comes with the kits.

I made a double batch of the Eclipse Zin - one per the directions, the other with the added cubes, and adding the extra oak was very noticeable and vastly improved the wine all around. I can't really describe the different tastes though - it's just.....more.

When I made this merlot before, it was right after my zin experiment, so I added the Hungarian medium figuring if it worked before it would work again! It came out wonderful, so I guess I was right.

Since I've never used other oak, I can't distinguish what would be different using the American dark toast - that's a reason I want to try it. I'm doing both kits side by side, with the only difference being the type of oak I'm adding. I'll even try to get the weight the same. I will be using the oak that came with the kit, so this will all be over and above.

I will also try a glass combined and see how that is. If it's better that way, I'll just have one big batch to enjoy.

Sometimes our urges just get the better of us. I'm counting down to bottling this wonderful Merlot and thought, "let's do something to get the wine ready."

So, last night I racked the wine off the oak cubes into a glass Carboy. From there, I degassed using my new favorite toy, the brake bleeder vacuum pump, for about a half hour or so (20" of vacuum with a little sloshing around to loosen things up). Then, back in to a plastic Carboy with a dose of kmeta and tannin riche extra.

The Carboy will sit for at least three weeks. Then we'll bottle, capsule, label and shelf this wine for a year.

Off topic, but I just weaned myself off of the brake bleeder, which I thought was the best thing since sliced bread after "vigorous stirring" with a spoon.

I bought a Pittsburgh Automotive 2.5 CFM vacuum pump off of Harbor Freight (99 bucks). Use the hose off of the brake bleeder and slide it over the nipple on the pump and watch in amazement. A few short bursts of power at first to prevent volcano, pulls it down to 29 inches and totally degasses in a minute, with no hand pumping. Done. Period.

Racked and degassed 4 carboys last night in under an hour. Worth its weight in gold. And yes, a little bit of oil vapor if you let it run for longer than ten second bursts, but no big deal at all.

If you like to see the readings from the gage on the bleeder, take it off of the bleeder, use little pieces of the clear hose and the three way hose connecter to put it in the line between the carboy and the pump.

Latest posts

Back