WineXpert Eclipse Lodi 11 Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB

Reaction score
I have just purchased the Winepert Eclipse Lodi 11 Cabernet wine kit. Looking through the ingredients it looks like a lot of oak additives (dust and cubes). Has anyone made this using all the oak? If so was the wine real oaky like chewing an oak tree or is it a more subtle oak taste?

Typically what comes in a kit represents the "average" taste. Unless you don't like oak, you should use it as directed.

The oak added during fermentation serves more of a purpose than just adding oak flavor. It can remove a multitude of off flavors and characteristics. Especially the oak dust or powder.

I have not done a kit that provided too much oak. In fact I have that kit on deck and plan to use the provided oak and supplement with one or two French oak spirals and give three months in a Hungarian barrel.

I made the "original" version of this kit (pre eclipse) in Oct 2011 and its turning out nice at almost a year and a half later.. def not too much oak.

Thank you all for the responses - I am looking forward to getting started and will let you know how it goes. :h

Latest posts

Back