WineXpert Early Or Late

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
My Italian Pinot Grigio is in the secondary and due to be stirred soon. I will be unable to take care of it on time. My question is, provided the SG is still, 6 days early or 6 days late for the stirring? What are the risks either way? I appreciate your answers.

Lenore, I am assuming that by "due to be stirred" you are refering to "stabilizing". If this is the case, it will not hurt it to sit a little longer befor you stabilize but I would be reluctant to try and do it too early. It may prevent it from clearing properly if fermentation has not completed.

That is what I mean. I have done so many wines, but have never had to leave when such a vital step was due to be completed. That's what I get for failing to consult the calendar before starting a wine!!

A week won't hurt you. As Waldo said, better to go a few extra days as opposed totoo early and not have a complete fermentation.I never seem to be on time with mine.

Back