Dry Meadowfoam/Carrotblossom Traditional

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
So here is how it all started. I purchased a lb of carrot blossom and fireweed honey.

And I started thinking about making a mead. Because that is what honey does to you.

The carrot blossom honey that I purchased has a nice dark powerful floral flavor profile. So im thinking it would make a good body honey for my mead.

So I figured, I did not want a mono-toned mead ( no matter how nice of a tone that is) and decided something creamy would be nice with the carrot blossom...

Enter Meadow-foam.. a magical and mystical honey known best for having a curios marshmallow ish flavor.

So here is the recipie as of now.

18 lbs of carrot blossom honey
18lb meadowfoam honey
RC212 yeast
4-5 oz of heavy-toast french oak cubes.
Fermaid K for nutrients
Hydrate the yeast in goferm..
Follow a rigorous fermentation schedule
Ferment around 65F if possible.

Add water untill sg hits 1.116 and hope that it will ferment dry.

Any thoughts or opinions

Last edited:
Gotta ask... Why RC212? I'd think there might be better yeasts for meads unless it does something you're looking for in this batch? Just curious..

32lbs of honey is gonna make a good-sized batch of mead

Gotta ask... Why RC212? I'd think there might be better yeasts for meads unless it does something you're looking for in this batch? Just curious..

32lbs of honey is gonna make a good-sized batch of mead
Yeah, I plan on making a 12 gallon batch lol
I am using RC212 primary because it has a high abv tolerance and will most likely go dry, and I think that it is less likely than ec-1118 to blow out some of the delicate aromatics.

Also

"Known for its ability to generate ripe berry, bright fruit and spicy characteristics and to consistently produce Pinot Noir with good tannin structure. "

If it is indeed bright fruit and spicy that could add a level of complexity. What would you recommend? I am open to suggestions but #1 it must be able to ferment me dry.

Dry to what ABV?
Theres a lot of choices i've been looking into lately, if you're not in a time crunch (if you have time to wait for the mail)

Only reason i wondered about RC212 is because its primarily a red wine yeast.. And i dunno about the "spice" in a mead, but ive never used RC212 because i dont like the "spicy" wines & its listed as have that spice characteristic, no matter who's website i read :)

I just used a yeast called Rhone 4600 on my blackberry wine, although its recommended for whites and roses, ive rather enjoyed the selection/pairing

"Due to its' high level of polysaccharide production, Rhone 4600 contributes intense mouthfeel and volume to a finished wine. In addition, Rhone 4600 helps create complex aromatic notes along with a high degree of ester production. In whites like Viognier, Marsanne, Roussane, and Chardonnay there is an emphases on pineapple, pear, and apple. When used in Roses made from Mouvedre, Grenache and Syrah, intense, elegant, fresh strawberry becomes the focus." ..... That's what sold me on it..

GRE & BA-11 both sound like yeasts i'll be using in the future, even though they both list "spicy" attributes

I'll still "feeling out" the differences between R-HST with its "transparency between a fruit and a finished wine".. And W15, "ferment dry whites at moderate speeds where bright fruit and heavy mouthfeel are desired"

You want options? Lotsa options :)

I'd go with D21 by first preference, or K1-V1116 as second preference. Both are excellent for traditionals, without being nutrient hogs, like RC-212

The spicy etc description alludes to grape musts, honey doesn't have the flavouring compounds to achieve that.

RC-212 is "known" as a red wine yeast mainly because of its colour extraction and retention ability (as well as the nutrient thing and for.going "stinky" relatively easily). There's still no reason not to use it, just that personally I'd stick with my preferences, for a traditional......

Right, I'm not saying not to, i was just curious why..

Thats interesting about the spice though, i always was curious if it was just a yeast attribute, no matter what you put it in, or if it was a grape compound reaction like you hint to

1116 is a nice yeast, i havent used D21 yet.. Was just trying to highlight some of the more uncommon ones i've been having fun reading about, since seth asked :)

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I just purchased some kv1116. To give you guys an idea of what im after I want something with lots of character. Think red wine. I am using heavy toast french oak for a nice smokey flavour. I hope the meadowfoam will impart a marshmellow awesomeness. And possibly a dark flowery earthy flavour from the carrot blossom..

So the question is right now.. KV1116 or RC212?

Thought about splitting the batch & blending?

Would increase the character of the wine for sure; just thoughts..

I've got a large-batch mead project in my head as well, i guess thats why im giving ya such a hard time :)

Hmm, that would not be an awful idea except that I only have 1 vessel capable of holding over 6 gallons, so in my case that is not possible.... If only... BTW how long was it before your peach became worth drinking?

I didnt consider the Peach of 2010 ready until it was 18 months old - but it was at its peak by then (still goin strong @ 26 months)... I dont enjoy drinking things early..

And just food for thought - you dont have to split the batch directly in half.. Or if you had a carboy or two, you could even fill them 2/3 full and pitch different yeasts in those, then do the rest in the larger vessel with whatever yeast your gut goes for - probably RC212 in this case

Hmm, only issue is that I only have 2 6 gallon carboys with me.. I ordered 150$ worth of equipment so I could ferment away from home. Why the RC212 btw?

Yeah, waiting is the key to wine making

Why the RC212 btw?

Just figured you were attached to it :)

So ya have a primary larger than 6 gallons, and 2 6 gallon carboys?

You could split the batch, but you wouldnt have a whole lot of choice on blending
Kinda where i'm at with my riesling batch... 2 3.5-gallon ferments & all i have are 5-gallons and 1-gallons; gonna have to blend shortly after fermentation

Just ideas lol

Yeah, they are all good ideas lol. Im thinking about getting this batch started sometime around the middle of next week.

Alright used 18 lbs meadowfoam
18 lbs carrotblossom
10 grams of fermaidk
10grams RC212 dehydrated in go ferm
10grams Chestnut tannins
and enough water to take our OG to 1.113.

I plan on racking the mead onto 4.5 oz's of heavytoast french oak cubes once it has fermented dry.

I will add 10 grams of fermaid K once the SG reaches 1.0754 (1/3 sugarbreak)
and 10 more grams of fermaid K once the SG reached 1.0378 (2/3 sugarbreak)

Am I correct in saying that the sugar breaks are calculated by using OG-FG/3 is the ammount of sugar drop in a 1/3 break. So I can then subtract that from the OG to get the 1/3 sugar break and subtract that once more to get the 2/3 sugar break?

Fermaid-K/O is usually recommended as 1/2 the dose just-after yeast pitch, and the other 1/2 dose between 1/3 - 1/2 sugar depletion..

If i remember right, DAP (in K but not O) is not recommended for adding after the 1/2-sugar break because the yeast wont consume it or it switches them back to colony building or something.. It's fuzzy & my computer loves to crash..

1.075-ish nutrient addition sounds right though

You are correct with that one. I dont have time to order any more nutrient (or money) So what I will do for the 2/3 sugar break is add in some boiled yeast hulls.

Ok fermentation has clearly started with a couple inch thick foam cap on top. The mead smells slightly fruity strawberry ess smell to it. No sulfur or off smells yet. I added 12 grams fermaid K

Current gravity is around 1.110

Sg was 1.090 on 10/30/2012. I added 6 oz's of Heavy toast french oak into the primary inside of 2 separate pantyhose's

Once primary is done I will put one pantyhose of oak into each carboy.

I am considering adding some tea into one of the carboys. Anythoughts?

11/5/12

Added the remainder of the 80 grams of fermaid K as well as a few tablespoons of boiled bread yeast.

SG 1.040

Back