Toasty Mead

Discussion in 'Meads' started by Mazaruni, May 4, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. May 4, 2019 #1

Mazaruni

Mazaruni

Mazaruni

Dear Mead Folks,

I am planning a test batch of a bochet mead that involves all things toasty. My plan is to caramelise about 80% of the honey, rather strongly, but not burned, with the remaining 20% orange blossom honey. When fermentation is complete, I plan to stabilise with sorbate and K meta. Then I would like to toss in a bunch of things that have "toasty" flavors, maybe instead of an f pack, and to get to off-dry level of sweetness: toasted pecans, toasted marshmallows, toasted cocoa nibs and a bit of toasted oak. After that, I will clear with Bentonite and/or SuperKleer.

What do you think? Any of these flavors going in a bad direction? I think they all mix with caramelised honey but who knows.

My orange bochet is going OK for a test batch, I just wish it was a bit more toasty.

Cheers!

2. May 6, 2019 #2

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

Sounds like this will be very delicious. Not sure how effective the nut flavor might be. Just a suggestion but you might consider making an extract by adding the roasted pecans to some vodka and use the extract before bottling.

3. May 8, 2019 #3

Mazaruni

Mazaruni

Mazaruni

I think you're right after reading the threads about pecan wine on this site and on a mead site about problems removing nut oil. Someone said winemakers usually don't want additions of homemade extracts and meadmakers are OK with it. I think adding flavors to wine with homemade extracts sounds fun, though.