Big Blackberry Blossom Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Hey all, it has been quite a while since I have put together a wine strength mead. Just this past week I managed to get a shipment of 6 gallons of blackberry blossom mean in from Salem, Oregon and I figured the time was ripe to get a batch going. So here is the plan.

I want 16 gallons in carboys. 2 fivers and one sixer so I will do a 17 gallon batch.

ABV = 14%

SG = 1.106

Volume = 65 Liters

YAN Requirement = 214 mg/L

GoFerm Contribution = 20 grams => 9 mg/L Upfront

FermaidK Contribution = 16 grams => 25 mg/L At end of lag phase

FermaidO Contribution = 97 grams =>180 mg/L Assuming its YAN is 3X as good as DAP YAN. Half up front half at 1/3 sugar break

Honey Required = 51lbs or 4.25 gallons.

Yeast Choice = 16 grams
Lalvin V1116 (K1-V1116)
Code:
Selected by the ICV in Montpellier, France, among numerous
killer strains isolated and studied by Pierre Barre at INRA.
When fermented at low temperatures (16°C/61°F) with proper
nutrition, it is a strong floral ester producer, especially in neutral
or high-yield varieties.
Among the high ester production strains, Lalvin V1116™ is the
most tolerant of difficult fermentation conditions such as extreme
temperatures, high alcohol (18% v/v) and low turbidity.
Ferments well under stressed conditions and is useful in restarting
stuck fermentations, especially when relative fructose levels
remain high.

Fermentation Temperature = 55F to bring out some of those nice floral esters. Yeast should be good for 50 F.

Oak choice = ? Perhaps medium+ french oak?

Last edited:
Alright, honey is nice and mixed up. Nutrient addition is going to plan so far. Initial gravity is 1.103 once temperature corrected. Must is at around 88 degrees right now. Gonna wait a bit for it to cool off before I pitch.

Took a while to get out of lag phase. I had to warm it up to 65F. However, we got a nice head now. I went on and added 17 grams of fermaidK to it. Around 1.070 I will add the rest of the fermaidO. So far it has a very nice and floral smell.

This guy is crawling on along. We just hit 1.070 added the rest of the fermaidO and I turned the heat back up to 60F from 57.

I racked this guy to carboy a few weeks back. He seems pretty happen and no obvious off flavors. Time will tell how this guy turns out.

Latest posts

Back