Drought In North East Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angell Wine

Reaction score
2005-10-08_091603_CAM_0720.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words!! It's raining here in Maine like
crazy right now and appears to be going to rain for quite some time to
come. The cats bowl is 3" high and overflowing.

Hunt county was declared a disaster zone by the U.S.D.A.This way farmers can get lowinterestloans from the government. we had 4 1/2 inches of rain since the first of may.

10:00 p.m., still raining in Maine and getting colder. I think all that ice
that FEMA sent up here to Portland for storage could be put go good use
somewhere in Texas...

Independence County, Arkansas (here) was also declared a disaster area in june because of drought, before no rain throughout the months of july and august! Pitiful, huh?

smiley6.gif

This week we had rain and snow and the farmers haven't been able to get back into their fields. Monday they should maybe be able to dig again. What a mess.

Maine just got all the rain from Tammy that the south obviously needs (or
needed before the hurricanes.) We just got about 8 inches in two days
with more to come tomorrow. The downside is road damage, bridge
washouts, flooded basements and it knocks the leaves off the trees
before the colors develop.

Things really look rough down there. I mowed my second cutting of Alfalfa and the rest of my fields in July and there is not any need to even hook the mower up for a third cutting here in East Tn. . We just received about a 1/2" of rain off and on over the last two days. Thats the first we have had in close to two months. When the Hurricanes came through all the rain was West of us and we didn't get anything. I have been supplementing the pasture ground with hay because the there just isn't any grass for the cows. I hope and pray for the farmers and others down there you all get a break in the weather soon!!!! One thing about it I have had plenty of time to make some wine here lately
smiley1.gif
. Take care all!!

If I decide to leave here again.....the heat will be the reason...

and the traffic
smiley6.gif

Ramona

We had our first rain in a MONTH this morning. Has been HOT and DRY. Grass was almost gone. Have had to water all my special plants, so understand where you're coming from.

It has been so hot and dry here my neighbor has been feeding his chickens crushed ice to prevent them from laying boiled eggs

work in Vernon, TX this week where the temp got up to a cool 110 deg's. I saw where Little rock got up to 105 the other day. At that temp there really ain't much difference between 105 & 110.
smiley15.gif

I was watching a special last night on the Discovery Channel regarding global warming and it was very interesting and the future seemed very bleak unless we can change the rate of carbon dioxide building in the atmosphere.

Everyone needs to plant a few trees to help consume the CO2we are generating from our fermentations!

We're doing our part. We planted an oak tree and have pretty well quit mowing. (Okay, maybe we only need to mow every 3 wks now b/c of the drought.)

Latest posts

Back