Drill dust in wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayson99

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
I have just degasser my wine using the drill wine whip method. However, when I started the drill a small amount of masonry dust fell into the wine. Will the wine be contaminated now due to bacteria getting in?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I have just degasser my wine using the drill wine whip method. However, when I started the drill a small amount of masonry dust fell into the wine. Will the wine be contaminated now due to bacteria getting in?

Thanks

If you're in the degassing stage, your wine should already be protected from bacterial infection by the sulfite. If you've not sulfited your wine, now would be a good time to get that done.

As far as the masonry dust, I doubt that a small amount will do any harm. The portion of the dust that is sand, will simply fall to the bottom and be left behind as lees. I would also suspect that the cement portion would behave much the same, unless you had been drilling lime mortar, in which case the lime may actually go into solution. Even so, I doubt that any serious issues will arise, especially for just a small amount of dust.

The ole school of hard knocks! :)
There is a lesson to be learned here, which would be,
Always clean any and all equipment being used prior to it coming into contact with your wine.
We have all done something with or to our wine that we wished we had not done in hindsight of the act.
As @Johnd mentioned, I also think that your wine will not be contaminated from a small amount of cement/mortar. If you have not done so as Johnd recommended, add your sulfite and let the wine settle for a week or so and then rack again making sure to leave behind any settlement.

It'll add that minerality that some people think they taste in their wine. JK. I wouldn't worry about it, most likely it will settle to the bottom between rackings Then left behind when next racked. Maybe you've discovered a new finning material for wine? :)

Latest posts

Back