Dragon Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave I am curious, because costs are different here in Canada.. do you think the alcohol you added changed the taste that much to your port, or would step feeding have left you with the same without the alcohol costs?

I think the fruit brandy did contribute to the final products flavor. I've sent out a few bottles, so hopefully we will hear some reviews here soon.

Mine was down to 1.005 Saturday morning. Racked it over to a gallon, 1/2 gallon and 375ml vessel(s). Added the appropriate amount of brandy and will rack again in a week or so. I had quite a bit of "sludge" in the bottom of my primary so was only able to get the above amounts out of my 2gal. batch. If I do this again, I will add a little more water on the front end and put my oak chips in the fruit bags.

Yes, Raelene, I have looked at those several time, and they are very cool. I keep telling myself, "Don't make the process even more complicated!" Wax, not for me and my Dragon Blood. I just started using capsules last year!

Racked over this weekend, added some blueberry vodka and tannin. The sip I took so far isn't too bad. Very flavorful and very good taste of oak. Now we wait. :)

This is yet another Wine I want to make. You guys are a bad influence on me and my bank account lol. This question has been asked before but I couldn't understand the answer. Was there any water added or is it all juice. Also I can't find dried blueberries so would fresh or frozen Work

Hunt,
I believe Dave didn't add any water. I made a 2 gallon batch and had to add approx. 36oz. of water. With the juice that drained off/was sqeezed off the berries along with the water, I was about 1 gal. of liquid. When I laid the fruit bags in the primary, it pushed it up to approx. 2 gal. I squeezed quite a bit, twice a day and ended up with right at 2 gal. liquid (without the fruit bags sitting in primary, like in the beginning) when it was time to rack to secondary. I ended up with 1 1/2gal. after racking, due to the substantial amount of sediment in the primary.
If I do this again(which I plan on) I will probably add another 36-48oz. of water so I can get a full 2 gal. of liquid. Another thing I did, was use oak chips (my LHBS didn't have oak powder) and I put them in the primary, loose. Next time, I will probably put them in the fruit bags and they may not drop so much sediment either. Not for sure on that one.
Mine is in the final stages of aging/clearing. Should be bottling it in approx. 2+ months.

How much fruit did you use, DJ, for your 2 gallon batch?

Yes, Hunt, I think the fresh or frozen blueberries would work just fine, maybe better!

Question on the use of the banana. Do you leave them whole or cut up but with the peel

Leave the peel on and slice them up. I changed the recipe to relect this oversight. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good luck, Hunt!

I cut mine into halves with the peels, minus the stems.

Dave,
I used 12lbs. fruit for 2 gal.

Found a 35% abv blueberry vodka today. Gonna add frozen blueberries to that and see how it go's

I must say thanks Dave !
He gave me a sample of his Port - and I was impressed only being less than 5 months aged or less.
I truly enjoy a good port - This needed to sit for a couple of months - because it was too hot per say, but had great potential !!

Thanks, Steve. I have a bottle I have been nipping off to gauge it's aging. The heat is already subsiding, and the fruit is coming through nicely. I have a case of 24 sitting until Fall. Maybe I'll send you a follow up then, so you can see the difference...if I can keep my college-age step-son out of it. He's a port junky!

step-son>:HB:gb<me

Dave,

Chop up/mince the red raisens or add whole? I realize the banana adds body and mouthfeel, but would adding tannin instead of the raisens do the same thing?

You could be right about the tannin, but this was my first swing at home made port, so I can't answer from experience...yet.

Last edited:
Dave,

Chop up/mince the red raisens or add whole? I realize the banana adds body and mouthfeel, but would adding tannin instead of the raisens do the same thing?

Hokapsig More Wines have specialty tannins if your willing to spend a dew extra bucks. After using the specialty tannins I hate to use regular tannin if the budget permits:b

So I started this recipe on 5/31, followed the directions and pitched yeas on 6/1 with a starting SG of 1.120...everything started fine and by 6/5 the SG seemed to stall out around 1.030..at this point I added the next step of sugar, yeast nutrient etc however it seems that the fermentation has stalled..SG went up to 1.060 after added sugar and hasn't budged since...I did add another packet of yeast as well with no luck. Temperature is the same as when it started, using brew belt. Can't think of why it's not fermenting so thought I would see if anyone on here had any great ideas to get it started again, used a lot of fruit for this and would hate to waste it! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks, Steve. I have a bottle I have been nipping off to gauge it's aging. The heat is already subsiding, and the fruit is coming through nicely. I have a case of 24 sitting until Fall. Maybe I'll send you a follow up then, so you can see the difference...if I can keep my college-age step-son out of it. He's a port junky!

step-son>:HB:gb<me

Looking forward it to it Dave !!

I really think it needed was more time to bring out the fruit more

Back