Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tess,
Is this the Original recipe? One or two bottles of lemon? What did you do differently between the batches, i.e. same yeast, berry blend, starting SG, fermenting temp, fermenting time, additives, etc.?

I never even used one whole bottle but I didn't the first batch either!! yes other then that I stuck to the original recipe

Tess, I am just racking my second batch of DB from secondary onto some kmeta this evening. Stole a sip, and tasted much better than the last batch.

I think the main difference for me with the second batch: TIME. The first batch I felt rushed to get everything done, rack, clear, stabilize, backsweet, I felt like I was on a time line. Now, with my personal life getting busier and my work life getting busier,and 6 or 7 batches of wine in carboys, I don't have the time to adhere to a quick timeline for all of it. As a result, it's on the extra fruit longer, unintentionally 'bulk aging'

Im very patient. I never feel rushed as as matter is fact I don't like to feel rushed. Even
with my fermentation. I always take my tme!! What ever it is I like this batch so much more!!

I need to get started on another one as soon as possible!! the difference in this one is I topped it off with a bottle is my own mango!! If that's it I will save a bottle for this next batch!!

I need to get started on another one as soon as possible!! the difference in this one is I topped it off with a bottle is my own mango!! If that's it I will save a bottle for this next batch!!

that bottle of mango is a messed up kit that I fixed...Lord. Long story!!

Last edited by a moderator:
did you use the same yeast, the same brand of berries, etc.
I made one batch that tasted terrible, my own fault. I added something to it in a much larger qty, then i should have..after a 6 weeks it was good.

Sonuds like everyone is getting their Dragon Blood ON! Great to hear it! I made the very first batch of DB two years ago this month. Bottled around 9-11-11. With the first taste, I thought, I gotta tell people about this! I don't remember who my first "convert" was. Anyone?

I just drank two bottles. Its bottling day after all!! lol

If I just drank two bottles, I would be writing all kinds of crazy things on here. 1 bottle does me just fine.

If I just drank two bottles, I would be writing all kinds of crazy things on here. 1 bottle does me just fine.

Its funny you should mention that. I did. It was bottling day and my vacation. I was put in the corner (banned for 24 hours) before the night was over and rightly so lol. Lesson learned!!! don't get on here bottling day. Wow, did I have a headache the next morning!!

Tess,
Is this the Original recipe? One or two bottles of lemon? What did you do differently between the batches, i.e. same yeast, berry blend, starting SG, fermenting temp, fermenting time, additives, etc.?

No, well everything but the lemon. I dont even use the full large bottle. I get the next size down. What I did different was top off with a bottle of very sweet (to sweet for me) bottle of Mango wine I had and did not know what to do with.
It is very good but i will always use fresh mango's in it from here on out.
Thats just my taste.
Im just not a big raspberry fan unless its covered in chocolate. It did had a lot of raspberry taste to it. But even that subsided over time in the bottle and blended better with the other fruits. Its very good!!

Tess, I am just racking my second batch of DB from secondary onto some kmeta this evening. Stole a sip, and tasted much better than the last batch.

I think the main difference for me with the second batch: TIME. The first batch I felt rushed to get everything done, rack, clear, stabilize, backsweet, I felt like I was on a time line. Now, with my personal life getting busier and my work life getting busier,and 6 or 7 batches of wine in carboys, I don't have the time to adhere to a quick timeline for all of it. As a result, it's on the extra fruit longer, unintentionally 'bulk aging'

Exactly. It was my first batch of wine I ever made. I think I was just so nervous about every little thing that it showed in the final product a bit. for on thing I dont think I squeezed the fruit pack enough and wasnt even sure I was reading the Hydrometer correctly. Even then time made it work. Im out of that first batch because everyone loved it but I got to enjoy my last bottle and I was so surprised I had to give it another go.

Has anyone used a brand other than ReaLemon in their skeeter pee? Did it still come out good?

I use the Walmart brand

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record!! I hope I never again disrespect these good people enough to where they feel they need to cut me off. These are the people who taught me and continue to teach me!! I have so much respect for them and I am so thankful!! Im not even sure where this should be posted but it came up here so here it is!!

Tess, I agree with you 100 percent...these are good people and have a good agenda. End of statement...I could say more, but elect not too.
I look forward to your post, and your insight in to what you are doing.
With out you and others, this would not be the same place.

I'm 2 glasses into my first bottle (have given 2 of 9 away). I was nervous and have put it off but holy moly this stuff is GOOD!! I don't see a long shelf life for the last 6 bottles! I just wanna thank everyone who gave me advice and helped me along the way! This place is great and I couldn't ask for more!

I'm 2 glasses into my first bottle (have given 2 of 9 away). I was nervous and have put it off but holy moly this stuff is GOOD!! I don't see a long shelf life for the last 6 bottles! I just wanna thank everyone who gave me advice and helped me along the way! This place is great and I couldn't ask for more!

I'm so glad to hear yours turned out great Beardy. But I'm jealous because you are already drinking yours and I'm still degassing mine! I can't wait until I have the funds for my AIOWP. Mix-stir degassing is no fun.
I want this batch ready for Labor Day so I'm using Super-Kleer for the faster clearing time. I'll post pics soon. At least it looks awesome but still has a "young" smell to it. I'm hoping the degassing cures some of that.

Bill

LonelyMassachusetts said:
Has anyone used a brand other than ReaLemon in their skeeter pee? Did it still come out good?

I've never used real lemon. I use whatever is on sale. Lots of other folks do as well. No worries just make it and then start flavoring, changing the recipe etc.

I made a 1 gallon batch of SP, using all natural, all organic lemon juice.
It came out super tasty.

But at over $5 for 12 or 14 oz, I have opted to make my next 6 gallons with the lesser organic "reallemon".

it's all good!

My batch of DB is coming along nicely!! I was curious about back sweetening. I would like to back sweeten using a small, maybe 1lb bag, of the triple berry mix and some granulated sugar.

Would I have to add pectic enzyme to the new sugar/fruit combo even though I added it at the beginning of the process?

I have read threads regarding making an F pack so I'm guessing this would be the same thing?

If I do add the pectic enzyme how much should I use?

if you mix your berry blend with sugar and cook on med until all the sugar is incorporated, i would say no...your basically making a simple syrup and replacing the water with juice from the berrys...there really is no need for pectin enzyme, expecially since your adding it to an all ready alcohol enviroment.
my take...others may think and act differently...i do not advise, only point out alternatives..

Latest posts

Back